• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes - To Fix or Replace

ArnimFritsch

Reaction score
Hello All,
Firstly, I am new here. Thank you for your excellent forum.

More importantly, I recently purchased a new pair of Cole Haan wingtips. My feet are flat and slightly different sizes and shapes, and I have a lot of trouble finding shoes that fit just right. I have often bought shoes that seemed to fit in the store, only to discover after a few wearings that one of them is great but the other causes pain worthy of medical attention. This is very frustrating. I usually buy shoes from places that will permit returns even after wearing, though I made an exception a few weeks ago. I found this great-looking pair of Cole Haan wingtips on sale at DSW. They seemed to fit at the time... After a few wearings, I can no longer deny that they are clearly stretching my left foot in ways not intended by nature. There's nothing wrong with the shoes. The problem is my feet.

I believe that, if this is even possible, moving the left arch support toward the heel might fix the problem. The inner soles are glued in, so it might not be an easy job. My question is this: Should I endeavor to get these "fixed," or would i be better off selling them here or on ebay and just buying a new pair of shoes?

I'm a graduate student, so resources must be conscientiously spent. One fine day I will get my shoes custom made. In the meatime, this will be my struggle. Thank you for your guidance.

Cheers,
Arnim

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure why this is happening if they fit perfectly fine at the store — assuming you got your right size.

Did you try the shoes on early in the morning (before you did a lot of walking?). Your feet expands throughout the day, which is why it's best to try on shoes in the afternoon after you've done some walking.

ArnimFritsch

Reaction score
Not sure why this is happening if they fit perfectly fine at the store — assuming you got your right size.
Did you try the shoes on early in the morning (before you did a lot of walking?). Your feet expands throughout the day, which is why it's best to try on shoes in the afternoon after you've done some walking.

This happens because I'm flat-footed and very stiff. I'm slender, but can't get even remotely close to touching my toes with my legs straight. The tendon that runs from the back to the toes is to blame. It isn't a problem if the arch is in just the right place, but if it's too far foward I end up with an inflamed tendon, so my pediatrist tells me. He wanted to fit me for custom-made inserts, but this "solution" would necessitate unfortunate-looking footwear and isn't exactly covered by my healthcare plan. So long as I find something that fits well, nothing hurts. I don't realize that the tendon is getting stretched too far until I've worn the shoes for 8 hours+ a few times and taken a few long walks.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I believe that, if this is even possible, moving the left arch support toward the heel might fix the problem.  The inner soles are glued in, so it might not be an easy job.  My question is this: Should I endeavor to get these "fixed," or would i be better off selling them here or on ebay and just buying a new pair of shoes? 

it's like removing a band aid.

look out for a good cobbler and talk to him. probably, one or the other of your shoes can be salvaged this way.

good luck.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Certainly, talk to a cobbler and see what your options are. As a flat foot, I've negotiated the problem by moving up to Alden and AE shoes. They offer a wide range of lasts and sizes to accommodate different foot shapes. I supplement that with arch supports by Pedag (i.e. Balance) and Superfeet. The Pedags are nice because I can adjust the positioning until it's just right. It's worked out very well for me. Granted, these shoes are more expensive, but I'd rather spend the money to keep my feet happy.

lmaligaya

Reaction score
I have lower arches than "normal" and I have issues with a wide enough toe box, and wide enough arch area. AE, Park ave (not sure of the last name) fits me well and the contruction is there to support modifications such as moving the arch support back by a competent cobbler. You cannot do this easily with crappier shoes. The other benefit is that companies like AE/Alden build many shoes on certain lasts so you can have a better feel for fit.

ArnimFritsch

Reaction score
The rest of the story...

I took the shoes to a local cobbler. He pulled out the innersole of the left shoe and used a grinder to level out the arch. Then he stretched it. They fit perfectly now. Certainly the best $3 I've spent this week!

Cheers,
Arnim

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The rest of the story...

I took the shoes to a local cobbler.  He pulled out the innersole of the left shoe and used a grinder to level out the arch.  Then he stretched it.  They fit perfectly now.  Certainly the best $3 I've spent this week!

Cheers,
Arnim

congrats. i knew it as it is no rocket science. it just takes a good cobbler. this was the only x in the equation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads