Shoes that look better with wear

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DocHolliday, Jun 29, 2005.

1. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

The thread on whole-cuts got me thinking about this: What shoes do you think look better once they're broken in a bit? I think most shoes take a style hit once they're worn, but I'd like to find some that will improve with age. I'm sure cordovan will come up, but other than that, what else do you like better now than when you first got it?

2. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior member

I have these shoes, and they look much better since the leather has wrinkled and I have polished up the toes with cordovan shoe polish. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....me=WDVW Bic

3. naturlaut

naturlaut Senior member

The beauty of the ageing process depends largely on 1) the leather, 2) whether the shoe fits you. Most RTW makers we talk about here on the board use good leather (Edward Green, Lobb, Weston, etc.) and most bespoke makers mentioned here use exceptional skins for their shoes, so they will definitely look better with wear. However, if the shoes don't fit you (especially if they are too bid), creases and bulges will appear at unsightly places, probably affecting the last shape in a long run. Thus the fit is important in the ageing process too.

4. Phil

Phil Senior member

The color of the shoes has an effect too. Im convinced that brown shoes invariably age better than black ones. Im talking about calfskin only, as I think black cordovans age beautifully.

5. Kai

Kai Senior member

I think that almost any well made shoe will look better with age, assuming that it is properly cared for.

6. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Regarding black calf: I find it useful to, now and again, use red shoe cream on black calf. If I don't do this, the black can actually look like a very, very dark navy under certain lights. The red also makes the black look richer in sunlight. Don't worry: they won't come out looking red.

7. Cliff

Cliff Senior member

(Phil @ June 29 2005,07:14) The color of the shoes has an effect too. Â Im convinced that brown shoes invariably age better than black ones. Â Im talking about calfskin only, as I think black cordovans age beautifully.
    Regarding black calf: I find it useful to, now and again, use red shoe cream on black calf. If I don't do this, the black can actually look like a very, very dark navy under certain lights. The red also makes the black look richer in sunlight. Don't worry: they won't come out looking red.
    I "antique" my black shoes with red (on the creases where it will show).

8. dorian

dorian Senior member

(Teacher @ June 29 2005,09:28)
    The color of the shoes has an effect too. Â Im convinced that brown shoes invariably age better than black ones. Â Im talking about calfskin only, as I think black cordovans age beautifully.
    That sounds like a very interesting idea... Any photos?

9. Cliff

Cliff Senior member

(Cliff @ June 29 2005,11:27)
    The color of the shoes has an effect too. Â Im convinced that brown shoes invariably age better than black ones. Â Im talking about calfskin only, as I think black cordovans age beautifully.

I'll post a photo tomorrow.

10. dorian

dorian Senior member

(dorian @ June 29 2005,12:00)

Great, looking forward to it.

11. guitone

guitone Well-Known Member

Bass penny loafer (wejen), not beefroll.

Any good pair of work boots, red wing for one....

12. Cliff

Cliff Senior member

(Cliff @ June 29 2005,12:51)

Dorian, as promised. Forgive the blurriness of the first photo, I must have been sober at the time; but it will give you an idea. The second closeup came out in much better focus and shows the coloring. It's really very subtle from a distance. http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/9...ckshoe16pd.jpg http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7...ckshoe26dy.jpg Let me know what you think.

13. dorian

dorian Senior member

(dorian @ June 29 2005,14:43)

Dorian, as promised. Â Forgive the blurriness of the first photo, I must have been sober at the time; but it will give you an idea. Â The second closeup came out in much better focus and shows the coloring. Â It's really very subtle from a distance. http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/9...ckshoe16pd.jpg http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7...ckshoe26dy.jpg Let me know what you think.
    Cliff, Thanks for the pictures... I may give the red polish a try - it definitely livens up a pair of black shoes.

14. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

I don't like that one bit, personally. It is unique though.

15. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

I think it works for casual shoes.