• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes, Shorts, and Summer sans Sneakers and Sandals

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 17-year-old son claims the current move is board shorts and white Crocs, but I'm willing to entertain the notion that this may work better in California than Manhattan.
888.jpg

Ketutar

Reaction score
I am a woman, so my opinion is only about what I like to see. I myself wear sandals. :-D

Now, shorts are often considered to be sportswear, so many people wear sneakers with them. There are sneakers that look less like sneakers. What do you like about tennis shoes or high tops? What about plimsolls? Are they sneakers?

Loafers are a popular choice I see often, and I don't like them much. I would definitely not choose Cordovan. Suede might be OK. Or nubuck.

I think Toms is the closest thing to loafers I can imagine not minding.

Canvas shoes of different kinds is in my mind a good choice if one doesn't want to wear sandals or sneakers. One can go from espadrillos to linen oxfords. A lot to choose from there.

Some guys wear their ordinary dress shoes with shorts. (No socks.) I've seen oxfords, monk straps, spectators... so practically you decide what to wear. There are a few rules and rules are made to be broken... you create your own style.

Also, how do you define sandals? Are flip-flops sandals? There are some very stylish such around. In my mind huaraches are sandals. How about slip ons like Birkenstock Arizonas? Are "city slippers" sandals?

You could consider moccasins.

You could wear desert boots, as suggested.

Clogs are also an alternative. In Sweden people used to wear wooden clogs all summer through.
I have heard Birkenstock Bostons are very popular. Stylish? At least they are not Crocs :-D And they are very comfortable.

Looking for something more unusual? Try Indian shoes, like mojaris, balghas, juttis, or chappals, or Iranian givehs.
One could also consider ordinary shoes made of some more breathing materials like knotting, netting, or plaiting.

My best advice is to look out some gentlemen whose style you admire and see how they solved the problem.
Or reconsider wearing shorts.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me it's pretty much any unlined beefroll penny loafers, boat shoe, camp moc, or ranger moc from a place like Rancourt or AE. Or espadrilles.

I've seen people wear plain toe bluchers, but they are not for me. Desert boots could be an option if they are short enough and equally informal.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
My 17-year-old son claims the current move is board shorts and white Crocs, but I'm willing to entertain the notion that this may work better in California than Manhattan.

Rubber clogs are absolutely a thing, even in Manhattan, particularly from Fear of God. Patagonia Baggies... Might be over the hump, but gorpcore was/is huge, and summer is upon us, so you will see at least a few guys trying Fear of God Clogs + Baggies.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have size 14-1/2 feet so my own options are somewhat limited. Usually MTO Quoddy boat or canoe shoes (depending on degree of formality) with shorts from Murray's Toggery and a linen shirt. For just walking around, Sporting Good makes nice shorts that feel like athletic wear without looking like athletic wear. Pair with Adidas Lacombe and no-shows.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely wear more sneakers during the Summer (always minimalist, no trainers unless in the gym). Always sneakers with shorts. The whole aesthetic of belted shorts and a tucked in shirt with loafers, I loathe. Just wear trousers.

Loafers take the place of boots. I have a pair of Oxblood AE Cavanaugh that I'm really liking along with my dark brown country grain Bostons from C&J.

With trousers and a sportcoat, I'll usually pull out these magnificent bastards in the Summer.

BNuV4a.jpg

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Expanding on the poll, as someone who lives in Southern California and is relatively close to the beach, I believe it's downright slobby wearing sandals out of the house casually. Sneakers aren't that hard to slip on and often no shoelace tying is required.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads