• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shoes, Shorts, and Summer sans Sneakers and Sandals

Herders_Gulch

Reaction score
Expanding on the poll, as someone who lives in Southern California and is relatively close to the beach, I believe it's downright slobby wearing sandals out of the house casually. Sneakers aren't that hard to slip on and often no shoelace tying is required.
Whoa, slow down there. I am also in Southern California. There’s basically no dress code, and ”slobby“ has no meaning without reference to the context. Personally, I find myself judging people who dress like they didn’t plan for the situation. I was at an event last week and I was shocked at the number of people wearing black shirts, or even hoodies with jeans at an event in 85 degree temps and no shade. That look works on mornings when there’s a nice May gray, but seriously, plan ahead people!

Sandals are just fine for many casual scenarios around here. Now, I won’t wear anything open toed because nobody needs to see that. But, huaraches are fantastic. These nail the summer vibe for me.

Goofy

Reaction score
How can someone’s attire convey accurate information on one’s personality is oblivious to me.
Looking like a jerk or a douche? My my.

How about provided there is no dresscode just wearing whatever you feel comfortable in out and about and not be concerned about such trivial things.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How can someone’s attire convey accurate information on one’s personality is oblivious to me.
Looking like a jerk or a douche? My my.

How about provided there is no dresscode just wearing whatever you feel comfortable in out and about and not be concerned about such trivial things.
Well, that's the thing with "style", it's more about what you want to say to the world about yourself, accuracy regarding your actual personality is secondary.

Somebody might wear a beautiful bespoke suit to convey an impression of strength reliability and power to clients yet underneath be a despicable person

Your quite right though, the guy that looks like a "Douche" (vulgar Americanism 🤣) in shorts and flip flops might be an awesome guy but be viewed by potential romantic partners and employers as childish.

There is an old saying, "Dress for the job you want, not the one you have"

There is nothing as "Comfortable" as being the best dressed man in the room!!!

(I voted Desert Boots BTW)

La Fin Du Monde

Reaction score
Hi there and I hope you are well. Where I live, a fair amount of the year it gets so outrageously hot one is pretty much forced to wear shorts for awhile. If full britches are “mandatory” (so to speak) I really enjoy the look and feel of linen. Reasonably cool enough and nice looking. Given the climate and lifestyle of my location, neither normally look out of place.

Have you considered huaraches? The boat shoe and loafer type styles look very nice. Also, nowadays there are designs that have a much more substantial construction and padding in the sole and sides. Therefore, once broken in a little they are very comfortable and have much less of a feeling of wearing sandals.

I make pretty regular trips to Mexico and buy mine there at great prices. With the internet nowadays you could probably find something you like without having to travel. Probably going to pay a lot more though I would think.

Here are a few photos of the boat shoe style (at least that’s what I call them) that you may find interesting. The loafer styles I have are actually at my vacation home so I can’t share those right now.

Just an idea for you.

View attachment 1792637

View attachment 1792638

View attachment 1792639
@clothingfun - these are fantastic. Where did you get them?

I need a wider foot bed and every pair that I've tried so far, don't fit me... So, it hard to source and even harder to find a pair that fit me.

moltoelegante

Reaction score
Today I bought two pairs of these shoes (though in a different colour) which have a folded rope sole, like an espadrille, but are laced. This means that you can adjust the tightness/fit (unlike traditional espadrilles) and the top of the foot is fully covered and without that awkward seam halfway up the bridge which always digs into the top of my foot and creates discomfort. Super comfortable, great for hot weather and still maintains a classic/traditional feel. I was so happy to find them! (Also very inexpensive. These are by Casimiro Perez).

81YKf7oOU6L._AC_UX500_.jpg

Compare with traditional espadrille below:

VfkZP07TEaf04hVtFAdD_best-espadrilles-catto-love-brand-and-co.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

What's the biggest deciding factor for you when making a clothing purchase?

• Style of an item

• Price of an item

• Material of an item

• Brand

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dab_44