• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes matching advices.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think there's a separate "advice" section on the Streetwear & Denim side of the forum. I think this is the catchall part of the forum for advice.

Regarding those sneakers, those aren't really the kind of sneakers that would be worn on SWD or CM. Both sides of the forum have a very specific aesthetic. Personally, I don't think there's a way to wear those shoes well. With jeans or chinos, they will just look a bit "normcore" (don't know what other term to use).

Disobey91

Reaction score
Personally, I don't think there's a way to wear those shoes well. With jeans or chinos, they will just look a bit "normcore" (don't know what other term to use).

I actually think the same. So probably I will just use them as sports shoes and use them with sports clothes. I also bought these other shoes: https://www.a3sport.cz/nike-runalld...4xJoTUTo6p0vdX5I-F5HPcHSsQdPmadBoC_DEQAvD_BwE . I use them under some grey skinny jeans but I would like to know to what other kind of chinos or jeans they can fit with, IF they fit with something or have the same problems of the others I have.
Thanks in advance

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I actually think the same. So probably I will just use them as sports shoes and use them with sports clothes. I also bought these other shoes: https://www.a3sport.cz/nike-runalld...4xJoTUTo6p0vdX5I-F5HPcHSsQdPmadBoC_DEQAvD_BwE . I use them under some grey skinny jeans but I would like to know to what other kind of chinos or jeans they can fit with, IF they fit with something or have the same problems of the others I have.
Thanks in advance

Personally not into these sneakers.

I think it's easier to think about this stuff in terms of a look. Save photos of outfits that you like and other style-related things. Develop an eye for what kind of looks you like, and then see which work for you in terms of your build and lifestyle.

Don't think of this as a puzzle (e.g. "I have these black shoes, so should I wear tan or blue pants, and a grey or white shirt"). Dressing isn't really about solving puzzles like this; it's more about learning a visual language and creating a message.

I think both sneakers you linked are going to basically look a bit normcore (again, don't have a better term). Finding better sneakers will depend on the look you're trying to create.

Disobey91

Reaction score
Personally not into these sneakers.

I think it's easier to think about this stuff in terms of a look. Save photos of outfits that you like and other style-related things. Develop an eye for what kind of looks you like, and then see which work for you in terms of your build and lifestyle.

Don't think of this as a puzzle (e.g. "I have these black shoes, so should I wear tan or blue pants, and a grey or white shirt"). Dressing isn't really about solving puzzles like this; it's more about learning a visual language and creating a message.

I think both sneakers you linked are going to basically look a bit normcore (again, don't have a better term). Finding better sneakers will depend on the look you're trying to create.

What you say makes a lot of sense to me. I'm posting here and asking to know what people would dress with this kind of shoes. Major problem is that, with the lockdown, I can't go and try clothes is shops because everything is closed, so I have to order everything online, and having an idea of a look before ordering would make my life easier for sure. Thanks for your answers :)

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
both sets of sneakers are similar in that they belong with sweatpants, track pants, or track shorts. There are sneakers that are designed as a casual (rather than athletic) shoe but I'm not really a fan of those either. Have you considered something like a plain toe blucher (PTB)? Not necessarily this color but something like this?
plain_toe_derby_cordovan_531_l.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think this side of the board suffers from not having an agreed-upon aesthetic.

With CM or SWD, people who participate are basically signing into a look (although on the CM side of the forum, this has rapidly devolved into shoes as standalone objects, disconnected from wardrobes. People purchase shoes just because they're GYW).

I've noticed that on this side of the forum, we all somewhat agree that it's not nice to tell someone a purchase is bad because we don't want to impose our beliefs onto them. So with a recent poster who wants to purchase Robert Graham type shirts, most of us say nothing. If someone wants to purchase a polyester plaid jacket, we also say nothing.

I don't know what is the solution. Many may not want to look like the people who post on CM, just as many may not want to look like the people who post on SWD. Hard to give meaningful wardrobe advice without knowing what kind of look the OP wants to achieve.

Adding: come to think of it, the OP might benefit from visiting Reddit's Male Fashion Advice. They have a side bar (on the right-hand side of the site) that has some basic tutorials on "how to get started in building a better wardrobe." I think that site is good at giving people advice without necessarily forcing someone into an aesthetic that may not work for them. Might be worth looking through those guides.

Last edited:

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with Derek those are pretty normcore shoes. That said, I went on a 50km bicycle ride with 10 friends around Rome yesterday, and virtually all of the guys were wearing shoes like that! (As were the ladies.) Very popular. Jeans? Just get a nice pair of selvedge denim from Japan, you'll be fine.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with Derek those are pretty normcore shoes. That said, I went on a 50km bicycle ride with 10 friends around Rome yesterday, and virtually all of the guys were wearing shoes like that! (As were the ladies; we're all "civilian" weekend bike riders, not Tour de France types.) Very popular. Jeans? Just get a nice pair of selvedge denim from Japan, you'll be fine.

Disobey91

Reaction score
I don't know, I feel very weird with those shoes and normal jeans, probably it's really better wearing them with sweatpants.

Disobey91

Reaction score
I think this side of the board suffers from not having an agreed-upon aesthetic.

With CM or SWD, people who participate are basically signing into a look (although on the CM side of the forum, this has rapidly devolved into shoes as standalone objects, disconnected from wardrobes. People purchase shoes just because they're GYW).

I've noticed that on this side of the forum, we all somewhat agree that it's not nice to tell someone a purchase is bad because we don't want to impose our beliefs onto them. So with a recent poster who wants to purchase Robert Graham type shirts, most of us say nothing. If someone wants to purchase a polyester plaid jacket, we also say nothing.

I don't know what is the solution. Many may not want to look like the people who post on CM, just as many may not want to look like the people who post on SWD. Hard to give meaningful wardrobe advice without knowing what kind of look the OP wants to achieve.

Adding: come to think of it, the OP might benefit from visiting Reddit's Male Fashion Advice. They have a side bar (on the right-hand side of the site) that has some basic tutorials on "how to get started in building a better wardrobe." I think that site is good at giving people advice without necessarily forcing someone into an aesthetic that may not work for them. Might be worth looking through those guides.

I'm already on that subreddit but thanks for making me notice the sidebar menù for advices, I really appreciate it!

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Theoretically the Style Advice forum has a be nice to the new posters rule.

This may have something to do with the vast majority of CM posters not coming here, since in theory Advice is supposed to avoid the slapfights.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll be nice and theoretical.

You’re struggling to find a way to pair these with slacks, but there’s really no struggle. Considering those shoes with chinos and/or jeans suggests no consideration for any rules. Not that this is necessarily bad.

I would say wear them any way that pleases you. You’re so outside the boundaries of any meaningful advice any one of us could offer, that it really doesn’t matter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads