• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes in Tokyo

aleeboy

Reaction score
Gents,

I'll be heading to Tokyo in a couple of weeks time.

I know there are some seasoned travellers on this board. I would like some help in finding the best shoe stores whilst there. I am looking for EG, Lobb, JM Weston and any Japanese recommendations you can give.

Help!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Do they not have shoe stores where you live?

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

aleeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Do they not have shoe stores where you live?

I currently live in Singapore. If you've been here, you'd understand why I am asking
smile.gif

aleeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gazman70k
+1

Plus, the exchange rate is NOT in your favour, if you are using the US Peso.

http://www.x-rates.com/d/USD/JPY/graph120.html

Furthermore, the brands you have quoted all have a huge premium in Japan.

Ok then, what about local makers who are not in the bulge bracket high-end? I'm looking to spend about $500 over there.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
+ if you have larger, westerner sized feet, they may not even stock shoes to fit you.

I've never bought Lobbs or anything, but I've noticed that it can be a challenge to find a size US 11 sneaker in Japan sometimes.

aleeboy

Reaction score
+ if you have larger, westerner sized feet, they may not even stock shoes to fit you.

I've never bought Lobbs or anything, but I've noticed that it can be a challenge to find a size US 11 sneaker in Japan sometimes.

Thankgoodness I'm a EU43 / 10US.

Really need some help from those who can direct me to a store which has... what's it called... oh yeah... a range to actually select from.

I live in Singapore, so some sympathy please.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleeboy
Ok then, what about local makers who are not in the bulge bracket high-end? I'm looking to spend about $500 over there.
Just out of curiosity, what do you expect to get for $500? I'm pretty sure even Vass is more than that. I know that Lobbs in the U.S. are about three times that - I'd expect Japan to be $2k and up. Someone within the next five posts will tell you to get AE's. I'm calling it right now.

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I currently live in Singapore. If you've been here, you'd understand why I am asking
smile.gif

Ah, you are from the sartorial waste land. Pity your Singapore Dollar isn't faring too well against the Yen either. http://www.x-rates.com/d/SGD/JPY/graph120.html You'd be better off getting in touch with GShen and seek his advice. But if you must, then go to Isetan Men's in Shinjuku or United Arrows in Ginza. Large sizes will also be an issue. But you are unlikely to find anything in the USD500 range. You could check out Allen Edmonds though.

aleeboy

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what do you expect to get for $500? I'm pretty sure even Vass is more than that.
This is the thing... I would like to be directed to a local maker where I can stumble upon something in that price range. So please no recommendations for stores that charge $700+. I'm seeking a pair of black loafers. I originally thought I may be able to pick something up for sale from EG, Lobb and would be willing to pay no more than $700 fo them, but sounds like that is not possible. So I rethought what I am seeking and its a Japanese maker in the $500 range. Appreciate some pointers Edit: I'm talking USD as SGD aren't worth anything thesedays...

aleeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gazman70k
Ah, you are from the sartorial waste land. Pity your Singapore Dollar isn't faring too well against the Yen either.

http://www.x-rates.com/d/SGD/JPY/graph120.html

You'd be better off getting in touch with GShen and seek his advice. But if you must, then go to Isetan Men's in Shinjuku or United Arrows in Ginza. Large sizes will also be an issue. But you are unlikely to find anything in the USD500 range. You could check out Allen Edmonds though.

I will try my best to steer clear of AE. Not my thing.

So, you are telling me even Japanese shoes are going to exceed $500? I'm not looking for the top-tier makers.

And wow, can't believe how expensive Lobb is in Japan. I have seen a pair of Lobb's in Seoul for about $750... should've taken it...

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will try my best to steer clear of AE. Not my thing. So, you are telling me even Japanese shoes are going to exceed $500? I'm not looking for the top-tier makers. And wow, can't believe how expensive Lobb is in Japan. I have seen a pair of Lobb's in Seoul for about $750... should've taken it...
You could try Regal: http://www.shoes-street.jp/shop/e/e1010New/ They have a loafer listed for 22050Y, or about USD260.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads