• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes in ny

mack

Reaction score
I will be in Manhattan on a very short trip soon and want to look at something beyond the Church's I usually buy.  I understand Edward Green shoes are sold at Dormeuil, but does anyone else carry them?  Are any French brands available besides Weston?  

I'm looking for something conservative, but would also like to find a pair of tan(British oak?) colored loafers.

Finally, any reports about the Alan Flusser shop and is there anything else I should try and see?

Thanks again, all.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Dormeuil shop is closed. I believe Alan Flusser and Oxxford carry Edward Green privately labeled, as does Ralph Lauren as Purple Label.

Jay Kos carries Weston and Edward Green. Weston also has their own shop, as does Lobb. Saks also carries Edward Green.

Someone also posted a while back about there being a Lattanzi shop in Manhattan as well. Perhaps someone who lives there can help.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i really liked the shoes at Dunhill, on 5th Ave. I bought two pairs of them, which are made by New and Lingwood in England...recently bought a pair of black captoes, as well.

VWpete

Reaction score
Lattanzi is up by where I was working this summer. If I'm not mistake, 71-72nd and Madison. Santoni is a block away as well.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Could you clarify tht the Dormeuil store is actually closed or just for renovation, etc?

Also I believe that Dunhill's shoes are by Poulsen Skone.

As for other shoes you can go to the Hermes store where they will have Hermes shoes, and John Lobb also. There is also the company Belgian Shoes which is quite exclusive, and has it's only store in New York.

I don't know if Manolo Blahnik still produces men's lines but you could cehck them out too or call in advance.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
LK:

I went looking for the Dormeuil shop at the address listed in May. Sign on the door stated the store was closed. Called info, checked yellow pages, no luck. Also Jack Simpson is now with Oxxford. (Very nice man I might add, got to meet him at a trunk show here at N-M in SF right before the Milennium- the consummate gentleman).

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As Bengal Stripe has pointed out before, New & Lingwood/Poulsen & Skone do not make shoes - thier shoes are made by Edward Green, Alfred Sargent and Crockett & Jones depending on the model. I believe that the Poulsen & Skone for Dunhill shoes are made by Edward Green but I cannot say for sure.

As far as French brands go you will probably be able to find Fenestrier, Paraboot and perhaps Hardrige but they have nothing on Weston. IMO the best French ready-to-wear shoes are made by Aubercy but to my knowledge they are not available in new York. Too bad as they are incredible shoes..

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Could you clarify tht the Dormeuil store is actually closed or just for renovation, etc?
I can confirm that it closed as I used to get stuff there. They moved back into the business of selling fabric. If you're super desperate for word from the horse's mouth, the number I have for them is 212-685-6335 and I believe they're working out of 232 Madison Ave. (at 37th St.), suite 805, but I am relying on some old notes I have.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dormeuil shop is closed. I believe Alan Flusser and Oxxford carry Edward Green privately labeled, as does Ralph Lauren as Purple Label.
I was at the Oxxford shop on Saturday, and the salesman told me that they had discontinued carrying Edward Green shoes
mad.gif
. He said that they had gotten fed up with Edward Green's notoriously slow supply chain. I had to go to Ralph Lauren and Saks to get my Edward Green fix. The salesman at Saks also expressed extreme frustration about the speed (or lack thereof) with which EG filled orders. Of course, he did have a pair in E width (Saks mostly carries D widths for some strange reason) in my size, and he did make a sale.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As Bengal Stripe has pointed out before, New & Lingwood/Poulsen & Skone do not make shoes - thier shoes are made by Edward Green, Alfred Sargent and Crockett & Jones depending on the model. I believe that the Poulsen & Skone for Dunhill shoes are made by Edward Green but I cannot say for sure.

I took a look at the Poulsen Skone shoes at Dunhill, and they don't look like they're made by Edward Green (and at $495/pair, they're not priced like it either). Perhaps what is sold in Great Britain under the Poulsen Skone label is different from what Dunhill sells under that label in the US. They also don't look like Grenson or Crockett & Jones to me. Perhaps they're made by Alfred Sargent.

IMO the best French ready-to-wear shoes are made by Aubercy but to my knowledge they are not available in new York. Too bad as they are incredible shoes..

I found out about Aubercy from looking at the souliers.net website that bengal-stripe mentioned once. I agree that they make some wonderful-looking shoes. I sent e-mail to M. Aubercy asking about availability in the US, and he replied very graciously that their shoes are only sold in France.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm looking for something conservative, but would also like to find a pair of tan(British oak?) colored loafers.
Weston and Lobb both have wonderful penny loafer models. You can find Lobb at their store at 680 Madison and at Bergdorf Goodman Men (57th and 5th Avenue). Weston's shop is at 812 Madison Avenue.

Saks carries a nice chestnut penny loafer from Edward Green, and Paul Stuart (45th and Madison) has a couple of nice models from Grenson.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I took a look at the Poulsen Skone shoes at Dunhill, and they don't look like they're made by Edward Green (and at $495/pair, they're not priced like it either). Perhaps what is sold in Great Britain under the Poulsen Skone label is different from what Dunhill sells under that label in the US. They also don't look like Grenson or Crockett & Jones to me. Perhaps they're made by Alfred Sargent.
I don't know about the relationship between Dunhill and New & Lingwood/Poulsen Skone. Here in London there is none. Dunhill is right next to N&L on Jermyn Street and none of Dunhill's London stores and concessions carries any shoes. It is possible that Dunhill's owners Vendome/Richemont have acquired N&L, but it is also possible they have a licence to market the name. These are the shoes sold in N&L's London store under the Poulsen Skone name and they are made by Edward Green (and are, of course, in the same financial league as EG shoes). http://www.newandlingwood.co.uk/iashop.....gory=16 I believe some are based on Cleverley designs. For example the "Oxford Medaillion" is actually a wholecut shoe (one piece of leather) and has topstitching to make it look like an ordinary balmoral.

marc39

Reaction score
The John Lobb shop on Madison Ave. is not the London Lobb but the Hermes Lobb/PAris. There shoes are way over-priced for average quality shoes.

Oxxford on 57th St. is phasing out Edward Green shoes and when I stopped in recently, they discouraged me from even trying on the remaining stock.

Weston: I really like Westons and have purchased several pair from the MAd. Ave. shop. Be sure to use the salesman who is either Indian or Pakistani--he's very, very knowledgeable and very cordial.

Jay Kos--Dislike this store immensely. Very stuffy, very pompous attitude as if they're doing you a favor by taking your money. Also, stuffy in the literal sense in that the place looks like an old attic--stuff strewn all over the place. As regards Edward Green shoes at JK, I would not buy EG shoes anywhere except at EG in London as EG sizing is fairly complx, what with various lasts, etc. I would not trust JK to measure my feet properly.

Tanino Crisci--Mad. Ave. Considered by Italians the Rolls Royce of shoes. I own a few pair of TC shoes. Very pricey and the sizing is a bit peculiar, but I'm told this is common with Italian shoes. I believe they are made in small quantities. This is their only US store.

JP Tods--Mad. Ave. Very fashionable, especially among Italians, but very pricey--Not worth the price as they are factory made. Yes, I have a pair of brown suede boots which I enjoy as they're very comfortable due to their rubber sole, but they are still not worth the exhorbitant price. They do run sales during the year.

Paul Stuart--Mad. Ave., next door to Brooks Bros. Used to sell Edward Green, now sell Grenson. Very extensive selection. Try to catch their sales.

Alden--Mad. Ave. near Brooks Bros. Many agree the best American shoe.

Ralph Lauren--Mad. Ave. Edward Green shoes but with RL's twist.

Saks--Sells EG shoes, but only a few styles. When I went in recently, they told me I could order any other style through Saks, but there is an 8 MONTH wait. Not sure I'd trust the young salespeople there to properly measure my feet for an EG shoe.

Bergdorf Goodman Men--Various brands, including obscenely-priced Lattanzi shoes and Gucci.

Lattanzi--Mad. Ave.

Timberland--Mad. Ave--Sadly, Timberland now makes junk, made somewhere in the far East.

Brooks Bros--Mad Ave. Peale. I'm told that Peale, a once great house, no longer is.

There are several other general shoe stores but I don't know their names. Hope this helps.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The John Lobb shop on Madison Ave. is not the London Lobb but the Hermes Lobb/PAris.  There shoes are way over-priced for average quality shoes.  

Average quality? Hardly. Along with Edward Green, John Lobb Paris shoes are the finest ready-made British shoes available.

Jay Kos--Dislike this store immensely.  Very stuffy, very pompous attitude as if they're doing you a favor by taking your money.  Also, stuffy in the literal sense in that the place looks like an old attic--stuff strewn all over the place.  As regards Edward Green shoes at JK, I would not buy EG shoes anywhere except at EG in London as EG sizing is fairly complx, what with various lasts, etc.  I would not trust JK to measure my feet properly.

Who cares if they can measure your feet properly? With shoes, the proof is in the trying-on. If they fit when they're on your feet, why does it matter if the salesman can't use a Brannock Device worth a damn?

JP Tods--Mad. Ave.  Very fashionable, especially among Italians, but very pricey--Not worth the price as they are factory made. Yes, I have a pair of brown suede boots which I enjoy as they're very comfortable due to their rubber sole, but they are still not worth the exhorbitant price.  They do run sales during the year.

Tod's driving mocs start at $345. That's not cheap, and you may be able to find better-made similarly-style shoes for the same price, but it's hardly exhorbitant.

Saks--Sells EG shoes, but only a few styles.  When I went in recently, they told me I could order any other style through Saks, but there is an 8 MONTH wait.  Not sure I'd trust the young salespeople there to properly measure my feet for an EG shoe.

Nobody in the United States carries more than a handful of Edward Green styles. Saks is hardly the only retailer that can't get EG shoes in a timely manner. The Oxxford store in Manhattan discontinued EG shoes because of the supply problems. I've heard that Paul Stuart did the same. I've been waiting for my Edwardian Antique Dovers on the 808 last for 6.5 months now, and that's hardly surprising.

Bergdorf Goodman Men--Various brands, including obscenely-priced Lattanzi shoes and Gucci.

Adam Derrick/To Boot leases the Bergdorf Goodman shoe department. They also carry Mantellassi, Lobb, and (surprisingly enough) To Boot.

Brooks Bros--Mad Ave.  Peale.  I'm told that Peale, a once great house, no longer is.

Starting a few years ago and up until this season, Brooks Brothers Peal shoes were made by Crockett & Jones. They were very nice shoes and represented pretty good value. This season's Peal shoes are of similar quality, but the interior markings and other manufacturing details lead me to believe that someone else is making them now.

marc39

Reaction score
Excuse me, but John Lobb's ready made shoes are grossly over-priced. Call it the "Hermes effect." $800--$1,000+ for shoes churned out in a factory in Northampton are a r-i-p
o-f-f. JM Weston is a much, much better value. And, how absurd of you to state that the measuring technique, or lack thereof, at Jay Kos is irrelevant. Puh-lease. When I spend several hundred dollars for a pair of shoes that will last many years, you bet I want to be fitted by an expert. Now, go play in the traffic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads