• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoes in mumbai/delhi

jase12

Reaction score
i am travelling to delhi and mumbai in the next couple of weeks. I am not of sufficient means to purchase bespoke shoes, but was hoping that someone could point me in the direction of a decent store which could sell me reasonable quality for a half decent price in either of these places. your help is much appreciated.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm travelling there close to the end of december as well. So i'd like to know too.
smile.gif

erdavis

Reaction score
Using "quality" and "India" in the same sentence doesn't work. My advice save your money.

debsc23

Reaction score
Instead of buying locally why not buy online? Try carreducker for its English made Limited Edition shoes - beautiful (finest quality box calf and leather soles) and stylish! or there are many other European brands that are well made and available over the web. Any probloems with fit and simply return them for a refund or replacement. Much easier than having to travel back to Mumbai or Delhi if there are problems.

Happy shopping.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdavis
Using "quality" and "India" in the same sentence doesn't work. My advice save your money.

+1. This applies not just to shoes.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
don't buy shoes in india, there are a lot of things to buy, suits and shirts can be had at excellent value for your money. shoes are not on the list.

ibleedwhite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
don't buy shoes in india, there are a lot of things to buy, suits and shirts can be had at excellent value for your money. shoes are not on the list.

I agree?

Mblova

Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdavis

yupp. +1

sm332

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
+1. This applies not just to shoes.

agreed that shoe making at least western shoe making isnt of a great standards in India. But to paint the entire clothing scene as poor is a fairly asinine comment.

The embroidery work in India is unsurpassed anywhere in the world - not much in it for men but even so.

Also - you will find some good tailors who can work with you to get fairly nice clothing made.

unexpected

Reaction score
Okay, I'm indian (live in America), so I'll speak up a little here:

You're not going to find custom-made shoes in India. Most dress shoes there are made by a company called "Bata". They're pretty terrible quality wise, but can be had incredibly cheaply. So if you want a practically disposable pair (maybe for the rain?)

India has an incredible range of tailors for suits and shirts. Most of the fabrics are really good - that's where you'll end up spending the money. There's a store called "The Raymond" shop that's basically supposed to be the Neiman-Marcus of India. All of their fabrics were from English mills, but they were nice quality (in my humble opinion).

The suit that came out of the fabric, was sadly, not. It served its purpose for 2 - 3 wears, but it was incredibly baggy (Indians don't wear jackets really; when it gets really cold, they wear a sweater underneath the suit - it never gets cold cold to warrant a jacket), but the pants were fairly nice. The little details - like working sleeve buttonholes - were also missing. Turnaround was fast though - around 3 - 4 days for the suit. I'm sure you can do shirts faster. The shirt I got was also really baggy, basically fit like regular brooks bros.

The issues are, of course, all my fault, for not being really specific about what I want. I guess my point is that most Indian tailors don't have a concept of high-end, fashion type tailoring. I think next time when I go, I'm going to bring my favorite fitting shirt, and be like, "make it exactly like this!" and maybe we'll get better results.

Prices were cheap though- I got 3 suits at the time, they were $150, $200, $250. Over 75% of each suit was fabric costs.

zip

Reaction score
i dont know about shoes in India, but Indian tea, mangoes are the best i've had. Of course theres things like Pashmina and other fine fabrics that will be of interest to the ladies.

i not Indian.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they don't eat cow. How the hell are they gonna work with material from a cow?

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For suits, go to Gabana. For shoes, go to England.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DO GRENSON OR BARKER HAVE FACTORY STORES IN lNDIA?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads