• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes in Buenos aires

chapunso

Reaction score
Dear Friends:
I am kind of new in the forum, but i am a shoe enthusiast. I own over 20 pairs of hand made English style shoes, oxfords and Derbys. In a trip to Argentina, two years ago, i found a store (lopez taibo), that had beautiful had made shoes for 500 pesos (190$). I do not know if any of you guys knows these shoes (lopeztaibo.com.ar). please take a look and let me know. i also have Afred SAtgents, and I am looking to buy a pair or two of Churches. i found a place in NYC that sells the chetwynds at 480, with shoe trees and free shiping (citishoes in nwc). i am sure that if i insist, i can get the shoe bags. I am open to ideas, suggestions and new stores to buy from.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next, he enthusiastically indulged his sartorial sweet tooth:

I found shirts, in colors and patterns I had been searching for in vain in N.Y. for years. English and French cloth, everything from abroad, and ties the like of which are not to be seen at home anywhere. Not loud, but gay and brilliant in the conservative way I love, with life and such beautiful colors, and shades of colors. I went mad, nuts, and out of my mind, and immediately bought a whole pile of stuff. The highest price shirt, which is good for five years, costs two dollars more than the junk they palm off for seven dollars and fifty cents at Finchley's. Their things are good for a few months. Well, I also bought a pair of the most gorgeous brown
shoes (dark Sienna) you ever laid an eye on, at one of the most famous shoe houses in the world. A little old man called Yanarelli has a staff of workers who make these shoes by hand, every stitch. In New York this would cost fifty dollars to seventy-five dollars a pair. Here one hundred pesos or twenty-five dollars.. These happened to fit me, as they were models that were on sale, so I was lucky to get a pair. All of their shoes, however, are made to order, so I was fitted for a pair of black patent leather, which I need very badly. They will be ready next week (imagine.) and I can't wait to show them to you...I wanted to get a pair of gorgeous dark grey suede shoes, but decided that in America they would be regarded with spectacular skepticism. What a shade of grey, though...I have never seen such beautiful things.

Excerpt from my doctoral document about the American pianist William Kapell. This is a letter he wrote regarding his first tour of South America. I was immediately drawn to it, and was happy to be able to include it in my paper.

koji

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Never heard of them and your link doesn't work. Where are they located in BsAs? I'm taking my own vacation there this winter and would love to check them out. Given my short time in the city (about a week), I shan't have time to check out the local tailoring deals. Plus, my Spanish is less than fluent.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is from a recent posting on the travelforum.com:

"The only places that I know by name are the two that I mentioned: Pullman, in the Galerías Pacífico on Florida street, and Lopez Taibo, at the intersection of the Avenida Alvear and Ayacucho street, in the Recoleta neighborhood (at that time, a couple of years ago, Lopez Taibo also had another location, but I don't remember where it was)."

"I would say that the shoes I saw at Lopez Taibo were comparable with such U.S. brands as Allen-Edmonds, Johnston & Murphy, and E. T. Wright, but handmade and less costly. I don't know if they make dancing shoes, but it might be worth visiting them to find out."

My View

Reaction score
Welcome to the board chapunso.

Church is obviously a very well-known make but my (inextensive) experience with my Church shoes has been disappointing. I think at least a few board members also have had some negative comments. Do a search on the archives of this board and I am sure you will find many hits.

For about the same money, there are better options. Add some more money and I can get a pair of Edward Green - a much better shoe in many board members' opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads