• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes - I'm going to London next week... (looking for recommendations).

RobertFontaine

Reaction score
I may have a few hours to shop.

I've done a quick look about and it appears that I probably want to be on Jermyn St.

I'd like to see and try on some Edward Greens and some of the Crocket & Jones.

Do you have any suggestions for me
smile.gif

Thanks.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
what is your budget, we can work from there....

Morris

Reaction score
Pay due hommage to John Lobb on St. James.

RobertFontaine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
what is your budget, we can work from there....

Definitely under 500 pounds. Better would be less the 500 dollars.

I was in John Lobb in Manhattan a couple of weeks ago and the clerk there was kind enough to tell me they didn't make rtw in my size and quoted me bespoke starting @ 5k USD. I'm not sure if he was just being rude but I really didn't feel terribly welcome.

I had a look a Church's on 57th but was disappointed to find that the shoes they now sell are not nearly as nice as the 10 year old pair in my closet. The leather isn't as nice for some reason.

I found a nice canali on sale for me and a pair of louboutin pumps for my wife - not on sale
frown.gif

I have enough pairs of AE's to last me a few years and am thinking about buying one pair of shoes for special occasions. I love Edward Greens but don't know if I'm going to be able to afford them. I also wear a 9.5E in US sizes so my options are often a bit limited (hence my collection of AE's)

Looking forward to your suggestions.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Crockett and Jones benchgrades on the new 348 last are the thing you need to buy. Look for the Hallam, Drummond and Alex models and you will find what you seek, exquisite shoes, fairly priced. Here's some eye candy to inspire you.

Alex

Drummond

Hallam

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Andrew,
Not to be a wet blanket, but your suggestion of the new C&J lasts (348 and 350) is completely impractical for our wide footed friend. You could probably hide a golf ball in the excess space required for creating a toe box that fits our fellow members foot (ok, a bit of hyperbole, but I have that luxury).

P.S. Subtract the VAT from the EG and have them shipped directly to the States and you might fall into your stated budget.

Conrad Poohs

Reaction score
If you've got 500 pounds then aren't most off-the-peg EGs within your budget, or have they hiked the prices by more than 10%?

Poohs

Conrad Poohs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
Andrew,
Not to be a wet blanket, but your suggestion of the new C&J lasts (348 and 350) is completely impractical for our wide footed friend. You could probably hide a golf ball in the excess space required for creating a toe box that fits our fellow members foot (ok, a bit of hyperbole, but I have that luxury).

P.S. Subtract the VAT from the EG and have them shipped directly to the States and you might fall into your stated budget.

With apologies for the two posts but, interestingly, I have one pair of Westminsters (now Westfields) which I needed in their wider fitting, and a pair of Weymouths, which I find fit me well with regard to width, despite them being only an E (narrow) fitting. Maybe this is because of the more flexible nature of a wholecut design, the leather being only half as thick where the seems would otherwise be. Anyway, I was very happy and surprised to fit into them: I get lots of comments on the look of them, although I should like to say that some of the EGs I recently looked at are rather more beautifully finished; the sales assistant told me they were 460 pounds.

All the best

Poohs

RobertFontaine

Reaction score
Andrew,

Shipping would be to Canada but the idea is interesting.
I believe that avoiding the VAT generally will mean paying Canadian shipping and duty.

For example the duty on my wife's Louboutins was 100$ canadian from the US.

I loved the look of the whole cut crockett's. A nice contrast but as you mentioned, it might require me to amputate some toes.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Go to Jermyn Street.

Start at the St James's Street end and work your way down. You'll find at the following house numbers:

67: Trickers;
69: Crockett & Jones;
53: New & Lingwood;
75: Edward Green;
48: Alfred Dunhill;
83: Foster & Son;
88: John Lobb (RTW);
93: Charles Tyrwhitt;
95: Russell & Bromley;
103: TM Lewin;
108: Church's;
112: Jones Bootmaker.

All these firms sell shoes. Some are more expensive (and better) than others.

Search me, why should you not have been able to get John Lobb (RTW) in American 9½ E. That is in John Lobb (RTW) a bog-standard 8½ E, or maybe EE. They definitely stock that particular size in Jermyn Street.

Each shop will give you a VAT form. You pay including tax and take the shoes with you; you show the form and the shoes to customs when leaving the country (to confirm the items have left); then the tax gets forwarded to you.

RobertFontaine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
Go to Jermyn Street.

Start at the St James's Street end and work your way down. You'll find at the following house numbers:

67: Trickers;
69: Crockett & Jones;
53: New & Lingwood;
75: Edward Green;
48: Alfred Dunhill;
83: Foster & Son;
88: John Lobb (RTW);
93: Charles Tyrwhitt;
95: Russell & Bromley;
103: TM Lewin;
108: Church's;
112: Jones Bootmaker.

All these firms sell shoes. Some are more expensive (and better) than others.

Search me, why should you not have been able to get John Lobb (RTW) in American 9½ E. That is in John Lobb (RTW) a bog-standard 8½ E, or maybe EE. They definitely stock that particular size in Jermyn Street.

Each shop will give you a VAT form. You pay including tax and take the shoes with you; you show the form and the shoes to customs when leaving the country (to confirm the items have left); then the tax gets forwarded to you.

Brilliant, my shopping is now planned
smile.gif

thanks guys.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Andrew,

I'm the devil, I expect you to suffer.
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads