1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoes - if you could only have 3-4 pairs, what would they be?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by zerostyle, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

A "minimalist" shoe collection seems silly, and pretty much the opposite of what most of us do here, but I'll play along. Were I to be reduced to owning only 4 pairs of shoes I would own these (which I fortunately already do):

AE Park Avenue in Black Calf.
    Vintage Florsheim Gunboat in Burgundy Pebble Grain.
    Alden Chukka in Shell Cordovan.
    Alden Leisure Handsewn Moccasin in Cigar Shell.

Also a pair of gym sneakers, Red Wing work boots, and Bean boots for snow and rain, but those don't count as shoes.

I'm sad there's no room for a pair of tassel loafers or some suede, but when tough choices have to be made this is where I go.

2. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

You live up to your name.

+1.

3. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

There's nothing more to say. It you're going to have three pairs of shoes, two have to be office-ready, so even broguing is realistically out.

How is broguing not 'office ready'?

4. cardguy

cardguy Senior member

5. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

1. Black captoe oxfords.
    2. Burgundy calf/n. 8 shell full brogues (wingtip or longwing, derby or oxford).
    3. Boat shoes in brown.
    4. Clarks desert boots in tobacco suede.

3 and 4 are cheap, so you can use the budget for good dress shoes. If you want to save on something go for calf instead of shell for 2.

6. sterlingprice

sterlingprice Member

-Black punched captoe: eg. AS Greenwich [​IMG] -Dark Brown Wingtip: eg. C&J Finsbury [​IMG] -Bordeaux Pennyloafer eg. Bass Weejun [​IMG] -Sand Suede chukka eg. Clarks Desert Boot [​IMG] Some are over 300 USD, others under but they should balance each other out...
    Nicely done.

7. zerostyle

zerostyle Senior member

Quite a challenge, but I'll take a stab at this

Under $300 a shoe is hard, I'm going to go with average of $300 a shoe

1. Ferragamo black cap toe, models can be either Revival or Newlands. You can find these on sale for about $200-225. I've seen them at Nordstrom Rack. You can also find them on eBay slightly used for about $125-150. It's an easy way to get a slightly sleeker toe; better than most of the English makers and any of the Americans. The leather isn't as good, it's OK for the price. They're also still Blake stitched. The next step up, with this kind of sleekness, will be a Crockett and Jones and those will be $200-250 used and much more on sale. You could also look into Bruno Maglis, but I think the Napa leather on those is worse than the Ferragamos. This black cap toe would work for your business casual and work environments, and will double up as formal wear with suits.

[​IMG]

Can these Ferragamos be resoled? I don't know anything about blake stitching?

8. zerostyle

zerostyle Senior member

4. Clarks desert boots in tobacco suede.

Do they still make this color? On most shoe sites I only see a brown and "taupe suede", but no mention of tobacco.

9. comrade

comrade Senior member