• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes - Herring Classic line experience

MasterMark

Reaction score
Morning to all! On my search for my first "decent" shoe. I've tried the Loake Savoy which was reasonably comfortable, but a little wide in the mid-step. Had considered Cheaney (would need to wait for discounts), but good advice from others here suggested they tended to be wider anyway. So I ordered a pair of Herring Belgravia (on the Barker 386 last).

The fit is pretty snug, but the leather seems much stiffer than the Loakes, so while I think I could wear the Loake's straight out of the box with a reasonable level of comfort, not so the Herring. I'm a firm believer that shoes should be pretty comfortable straight off the bat, with breaking-in/moulding to your foot an added bonus to make them even more comfortable, rather than a necessity for making them wearable.

Does anyone have any experience with Herring's Classic line and whether the leather softens appreciably? Or perhaps the Herring Premier line would be better, perhaps the 11028 last, (though I'd have to wait for them to come on sale/seconds)?

Any pearls of wisdom would be appreciated as always!

greyinla

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Herring's Classic line and whether the leather softens appreciably? Or perhaps the Herring Premier line would be better,

These can't be compared directly, as various shoes in each line are made by different makers, I believe mostly Barker and Loake in the Classic, Cheaney and Trickers in the Premier; you can generally figure out the maker if you are familiar w/ their lines and lasts, or you can ask Herring. In general though, I wouldn't expect the leather on any sturdy goodyear-welted shoe to soften that much. Find a last that works for you (there's lots of threads here on popular ones), and take it from there. Good luck.

nihraguk

Reaction score
I have bought a pair of Herring churchhills. I think this is from their premier range. The leather has softened and stretched slightly, which is a relief, because the shots were a little right when I first got them.

Quality wise, I think they're fairly good value, and they have excellent customer service.

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a pair of shoes made by Barker from their Professional collection, which from what I understand will be similar to Herring Classics. The leather improves greatly over time, but I still prefer the leather from other manufacturers.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stiff leather is not necessarily a bad thing nor does it necessarily cause shoes to be uncomfortable. If they are not comfortable then it is more likely that they simply do not fit.

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
My Herrings started off a little stiff but after a few wears, conditions and polishes the leather became soft and really comfortable.

Just take them out for a few strolls and they should break in nicely.

MasterMark

Reaction score
Thanks to all, very helpful responses. Agreed that it may be that they just don't fit right - think I'll stick with the loakes that seem to be comfortable straight out of the box. I've tried a pear of Cheaney's in the 11028 last, and I found that leather more comfortable, so could be the Herring Premier range (like the Churchill "nihraguk" refers to above) will fit quite nicely when they come on sale.

Thanks again!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads