• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes, Handmade in the United States for $1000.00

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has been brought to my attention that I should be able to readily find shoemakers in the United States who will make a totally handmade shoe for approximately $1000.00

I personally find this difficult to imagine. But I have been mistaken more than once in the past so it is not unreasonable for me to assume that perhaps my perceptions do not match reality.

Thus I kindly request recommendations in this regard from the forum, if you please.

Do please remember the criteria is Handmade (including welt) in the USA for approximately $1000.00.

:lurk:

Last edited:

sully

Reaction score
I can't help regards shoes in the US but I too feel it is unlikely unless the shoe scene in the US is very different than the UK. I Can get a fully bespoke shoe here by using a shoemaker who works in London but does other work as well for about 1.700 dollars depending on material and style,this is fully handmade bespoke . I believe it is possible to get something cheaper but this may involve machine stitched soles and machine finishing and the quality of leather may not be as good. To me it seems to some extent you get what you pay for sometimes. I should mention I have my own last so this gives me an advantage with price. I wish you luck with your quest and will be interested to see the results.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

by handmade, do you mean bespoke?

Not necessarily. Most specifically I mean hand welted.

Again - I don't believe this to be possible. But an expert here has told me it is true so I am merely attempting to verify that expert's assertion.

sully

Reaction score
Sorry, just to be clear in my last post I meant $1700 as best I can convert currency.Costs are on the up in UK generally so I suspect things may change,

Asian Afro

Reaction score
Here are some recommendations from DWFII. You'll have to contact those shoemakers to find their price, though.

Jon Gray's in Canada, and that's the ballpark of his price. It might be a bit over or under a grand, but definitely below what John Lobb might charge, for example.

I'm still waiting for my fitting model, so I can't speak to the quality of his work or his final price, but DWFII says Jon's a good guy.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should contact DFWII.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Here are some recommendations from DWFII. You'll have to contact those shoemakers to find their price, though..

Thanks for that. I couldn't find that thread. I think there's another one that also explores the same question.

Frankly, I don't feel like reiterating that list or even making an updated one just to satisfy the doubts of people who all too readily rely on third parties for information they can't be bothered to verify for themselves.

That said, when that thread was written I knew one shoemaker...very, very well...whose prices for fully bespoke hand welted shoes began at $1k. Today, his prices are a little higher...if he decides to take the order.

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

[COLOR=FF00AA]Not necessarily. Most specifically I mean hand welted.
Again - I don't believe this to be possible. But an expert here has told me it is true so I am merely attempting to verify that expert's assertion.[/COLOR]

I suspect I am the person who last made mention of this to you, so I feel compelled to say that if it is me you are referring to as an "expert," let me disabuse you. I don't claim to be an expert. Not now not ever.

I do have a long and intimate involvement with shoemaking and shoemaking techniques that is vanishingly rare in the world at large much less on this forum. That gives me a unique perspective--one that may, and even maybe ought to be, useful to people here but which cannot be even simulated by speculation and fantasy.

None of that makes me an expert, however...unless it is by comparison--until a real one comes along IOW.

More to the point, I am not now nor will I ever be an expert on what other shoemakers charge, all I can do is pass on what I've been told...by other shoemakers.

[COLOR=0000FF]There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."[/COLOR]

Last edited:

ncdobson

Reaction score
I was also curious after reading posts around the forum about the cost of handmade shoes in the US. I went to the Cordwainers' site HCC in DFWII's sig as my starting point. On the discussion board (http://www.thehcc.org/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi), I clicked on Topics, then the Gallery (sorry, but the site uses frames, & I don't know how to get the URL to take me straight to the Gallery) to see pics of what people were making. I then googled a couple of the regular posters. Here's 1 whose Chelsea boots & shoes are less than $1000: Rick Roman. I don't think I found any others that way in the $1K range before I got distracted by life & went back to lusting after the usual SF suspects: C&J, AS, Carmina, Meermin, etc. I'll post again if I find any others.

Nick D.
(formerly of Sandy Springs, GA)

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am interested as well. I am in the process of contacting couple local shoemakers. Maybe something good will come out of my search.

Besides the hand welting/lasting, the key thing I am looking for is fit and good foot/arch support similar to the use of orthotics (custom or generic). Sizing up for sole insert sucks.

I read that Delos is capable of making orthopedic insole, which is a huge plus.

My orthopedist recommended me Mizuno Wave and their fit website is definitely very educational for footwear http://www.myprecisionfit.com/test/welcome?lang=en_US&noAnswerSelected=

petitnoblesse

Reaction score
About a year ago I strolled by an orthopedic shoe maker, I happened to poke my head in his workshop and saw a beautiful whole cut on a custom last. It piqued my interest and after about an hour he said he could do a bespoke shoe on a custom last for around $1000 including a trial shoe to check for fit. Ge seemed to know his shoes, and we discussed G&G, vs Lobb, vs. US manufacturers. He's based in LA and I may pay him another visit soon.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm using one who's doing it for roughly $800 but he's cutting me a deal as he just opened shop (has been doing it for years though, european trained), in the PNW, you can pm me for details since im not sure if he wants to advertise here or not just yet.

Last edited:

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is he "Russian" or exSoviet? All these people who boast "European" trained or "European" expertise in the states tend to be Russian one way or another. I have no problem with the verbiage but their version of quality is quite low.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads