• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shoes for winter

Coffee

Reaction score
Hi!

I´m off to London in about 3 weeks and wanted to get a pair of shoes for the coming winter. What kind of shoes would you recommend for a snowy winter. They don´t have to be very warm but they should be able to handle getting a bit wet constantly. Can a leather sole stand this abuse or should I go for rubber soled shoes? I am going to visit at least C&J and Tricker´s while there. Any good picks in their selections?

I´m also going to Cordings to try a covert coat I´ve been after for some time now

TimelessRider

Reaction score
I don't like to use leather soles in snow or rain if I can help it. On top of not being safe on icy surfaces, it takes a few days for leather soled shoes to recover from becoming wet. Both C&J and Trickers have good selections for winter/country shoes and boots. Shoes with a storm welt should offer better protection against a wet environment e.g C&J Sedburgh, Grasmere or Cheptsow. I prefer boots as they have have the advantage of keeping your ankles dry.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Johnston & Murphy make some nice looking weatherproof boots... whether they're worth it is something I honestly don't know.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
For bad weather I always try to wear rubber lug soles, whether they are John Lobb, Ferragamo, Grenson, Gucci, Allen Edmonds, etc.

Doesn't David Eden make rubber lug soled shoes?

Niels

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelessRider
I don't like to use leather soles in snow or rain if I can help it. On top of not being safe on icy surfaces, it takes a few days for leather soled shoes to recover from becoming wet. Both C&J and Trickers have good selections for winter/country shoes and boots. Shoes with a storm welt should offer better protection against a wet environment e.g C&J Sedburgh, Grasmere or Cheptsow. I prefer boots as they have have the advantage of keeping your ankles dry.

I can recommend C&J Grasmere with rubber soles. I live in a climate with lots of snow, melting snow and wet snow in the winter (often temperatures around 0 Celcius) and the Grasmeres were just perfect.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you on a budget, check out Kenneth Cole New York or Lumiani on the internet. Both are better quality and fit than some higher end shoes, particularly those sold under Barney's name.

Coffee

Reaction score
Thanks for your answers. I like the look of those Grasmere´s. There seems to be an endless selection of elegant and sleek shoes presented in this forum but not too many shoes build for cold/foul weather.

Does any of you have a pair of Tricker´s rubber soled brogues. I like the look but how´s the quality?

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am really liking these from Orvis

They won't say, but I'm certain that they are the Alfred Sargent Grasmere

Orvis wants $350 vs. Pediwear's $175 for the Sargent. The problem is the sole. I want the Danite sole, not another lug sole. Hmm.....

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got these allen edmonds wartons on ebay for $56

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and I do have these Ralph Harrison in deer skin... somebody knows if deer skin is better for wet weather ?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 132 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 250 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 119 15.6%
  • 31 - 40