Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shoes for winter

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Coffee, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Coffee

Coffee Active Member

Hi!

I´m off to London in about 3 weeks and wanted to get a pair of shoes for the coming winter. What kind of shoes would you recommend for a snowy winter. They don´t have to be very warm but they should be able to handle getting a bit wet constantly. Can a leather sole stand this abuse or should I go for rubber soled shoes? I am going to visit at least C&J and Tricker´s while there. Any good picks in their selections?

I´m also going to Cordings to try a covert coat I´ve been after for some time now

2. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior member

I don't like to use leather soles in snow or rain if I can help it. On top of not being safe on icy surfaces, it takes a few days for leather soled shoes to recover from becoming wet. Both C&J and Trickers have good selections for winter/country shoes and boots. Shoes with a storm welt should offer better protection against a wet environment e.g C&J Sedburgh, Grasmere or Cheptsow. I prefer boots as they have have the advantage of keeping your ankles dry.

3. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Johnston & Murphy make some nice looking weatherproof boots... whether they're worth it is something I honestly don't know.

4. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

For bad weather I always try to wear rubber lug soles, whether they are John Lobb, Ferragamo, Grenson, Gucci, Allen Edmonds, etc.

5. EL72

EL72 Senior member

For bad weather I always try to wear rubber lug soles, whether they are John Lobb, Ferragamo, Grenson, Gucci, Allen Edmonds, etc.

Doesn't David Eden make rubber lug soled shoes?

6. Niels

Niels Well-Known Member

I don't like to use leather soles in snow or rain if I can help it. On top of not being safe on icy surfaces, it takes a few days for leather soled shoes to recover from becoming wet. Both C&J and Trickers have good selections for winter/country shoes and boots. Shoes with a storm welt should offer better protection against a wet environment e.g C&J Sedburgh, Grasmere or Cheptsow. I prefer boots as they have have the advantage of keeping your ankles dry.

I can recommend C&J Grasmere with rubber soles. I live in a climate with lots of snow, melting snow and wet snow in the winter (often temperatures around 0 Celcius) and the Grasmeres were just perfect.

7. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

If you on a budget, check out Kenneth Cole New York or Lumiani on the internet. Both are better quality and fit than some higher end shoes, particularly those sold under Barney's name.

8. Coffee

Coffee Active Member

Thanks for your answers. I like the look of those Grasmere´s. There seems to be an endless selection of elegant and sleek shoes presented in this forum but not too many shoes build for cold/foul weather.

Does any of you have a pair of Tricker´s rubber soled brogues. I like the look but how´s the quality?

9. Thurston

Thurston Senior member

I am really liking these from Orvis
    [​IMG]

They won't say, but I'm certain that they are the Alfred Sargent Grasmere
    [​IMG]

Orvis wants $350 vs. Pediwear's $175 for the Sargent. The problem is the sole. I want the Danite sole, not another lug sole. Hmm.....

10. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

I just got these allen edmonds wartons on ebay for $56 [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

and I do have these Ralph Harrison in deer skin... somebody knows if deer skin is better for wet weather ?

[​IMG]