• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes for walking

sportsguy

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently replaced my summer shoes: from a pair of sneakers to AE el Paso's. Although I really like my new shoes, I have a serious problem with them. I tend to travel a lot and this usually also includes a fair amount of walking. Now although the el paso's are extremely comfortable, they seem to not be designed for walking longer distances. It may be that I am not used to them yet, but after 30'-45' of walking I start getting some pain, and they also have created a tiny wound on the back, just above my heel.

I was wondering what kind of shoes (if any) have the following characteristics:
1) they are suitable for wearing during the summer (i.e. both with trousers and shorts, and not too warm for the feet),
2) can be used for comfortably walking longer distances,
3) look nice.

I would be happy for any suggestions.

A separate question on a similar subject: I assume that all the leather soled shoes are also not the best choice for walking long distances, is that right?

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Drivers' shoes are not meant for walking. They're meant for driving. However, if your feet are hurting after 30 ft and are cutting your heels, something seems to be wrong with your fit.

If you're looking for comfort and versatility, I'd suggest unlined pennies i.e. Alden's flex-welt LHS in suede. Get a proper fitting, trying shoes with various widths and lengths. A warning though, they're $486 (or $300 for seconds).

Last edited:

sportsguy

Reaction score
I thought driving shoes is just a name and they were not made just for driving. Are boat shoes only made to be worn on boats?

Also by 30' meant 30 minutes not 30 foot of course.I think the fit is good, but then again I don't have much to compare to in order to be 100% sure...

Anyway, from what I understand since I walk a fair amountl I should move back to ugly-looking sneakers.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving shoes have no heel, and some don't have much arch support. You wanna do a lot of walking, you need some support in the arch and a heel. Boat shoes were made for walking around on a boat. Driving shoes are made for sitting behind the wheel of a car.

If a pair of shoes made me uncomfortable after 30 minutes, I'd be pretty unhappy. If I'm uncomfortable in my shoes after a mere four hours on my feet, I'm annoyed.

I'm an unlined penny loafer guy, myself. I can get a fine fit from Bass Weejuns, so I just wear those.

sportsguy

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm happy to report that the shoes now don't hurt anymore and I can walk fine in them. It is strange, I think the leather got softer and took the form of my foot. Perhaps it was a bad plan to take brand new shoes on a trip that involved a lot of walking. However I am quite happy with them now after the first disappointment. Thanks again for all your replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads