• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes for tuxedo

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I figured I'd get some new black shoes for my black tie event. I only have two pairs of black shoes, and neither are really appropriate for black tie wear. But I thought I'd get something that would be suitable for both work wear, formal wear, and for night's out (so I want something sort of stylish if that is possible). I was thinking these might be good. A little high in price, but at what price point would this be a good deal? Any idea how these shoes fit? I was also considering maybe a plain toe bal in black shell cordovan. Would that be a better choice? Worse choice? I don't want patent leather, BTW.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but the only shoes appropriate for semi-formal wear are patent lace-ups or leather opera pumps.

Those wholecuts are very nice. But, they are not correct. And you will, unfortunately, look like many do: like you don't own appropriate footwear for the occasion.

Edit: these would be a better choice than black shell cordovan.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really dislike patent leather shoes. I do not like the look, even with a tux. I agree that it is the safer choice, but to hell with that, I say.

That said, if I could find a good bargain on patent leather shoes, I would take it. But I don't want to shell out $250 at Brooks Brothers for something I'll only wear twice a year at most.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really dislike patent leather shoes.  I do not like the look, even with a tux.  I agree that it is the safer choice, but to hell with that, I say.  

That said, if I could find a good bargain on patent leather shoes, I would take it.  But I don't want to shell out $250 at Brooks Brothers for something I'll only wear twice a year at most.
There've been a few discussions about this, either here or AskAndy but how about calf opera pumps? Just highly polish them. I saw some of the Grenson ones that weren't patent leather. Dunno if they're still available, but they were only $100, which is a hell of a deal, really.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would prefer a lace-up. Nothing in my size from Grenson anyways. What are the good sources for patent leather shoes, BTW?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about these? Z, what is considered more formal -- a lace up or a slip on like this? Also, why do you not think shell cordovan is a better choice than regular calf?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Z, what is considered more formal -- a lace up or a slip on like this?
If you're going to get a slip-on, I would stick with the traditional pump. That looks like a loafer trying (and failing) to dress itself for the evening. Just a jumble. For the record, the evening pump is slightly more formal than the lace-up.
Also, why do you not think shell cordovan is a better choice than regular calf?
Speaking only for myself: cordovan is heavier and more utilitarian and less "delicate" and therefore less formal. Like tweed or cotton Oxford cloth, I don't think it has a place in formal wear.

marc37

Reaction score
Rubbish Manton. The picture above is a perfect example of a good formal dress shoe.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Rubbish Manton. The picture above is a perfect example of a good formal dress shoe.
I disagree. It is the perfect example of a fashion designer's attempt to "update" the dress shoe. There are two issues here: is it correct, and do you like it? It is most certainly not correct. Whether one likes it or not is a matter of personal preference. I don't; others might.

cuffthis

Reaction score
If you are against patent leather, why not consider a velvet shoe? You don't need the monograms as Flusser does, but these are great formal wear shoes. And you will not just be more of the same. My favorite dress shoes.
flussershoe9zm.jpg

marc37

Reaction score
Common Manton: it's a patent leather loafer/pump. Of course it's o.k for formal wear.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Common Manton: it's a patent leather loafer/pump. Of course it's o.k for formal wear.
It's not a pump. It's a loafer, which is why, strictly speaking, it is incorrect. The true pump has lower quarters, a shorter vamp, and a grosgrain bow.

marc37

Reaction score
If you are against patent leather, why not consider a velvet shoe? You don't need the monograms as Flusser does, but these are great formal wear shoes. And you will not just be more of the same. My favorite dress shoes.
flussershoe9zm.jpg
They are not shoes, they are slippers. Stop joking around, it could lead us astray.
omg.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads