• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes for the next 10 years

Maladjusted

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm new to the styleforum :)

Recently I've been back to being interested in classic menswear and I would like to buy a complete package of shoes for the next 5-10 years. They will be of course stored with shoetrees, saphir creme included, etc.

I would like to buy 8-10 pairs of good quality shoes. Requirements are not easy to fulfil though, now I'm working in an environment without dress code per se, so the sneakers and jeans are good to go. However, I would like to have a shoe set that would be "adjustable" to any dress code change (e.g. in different job), so having 3-4 pair of shoes that are "suit-ready" is important. My first ideas are:

2 pairs of suede chukkas: I've bought Loake Pimlico in dark suede already
1 pair of classic oxford captoes: Necessary in every wardrobe ;)
1 or 2 pairs of brogues
1 leather sneakers - something like Common Projects achilles
1 sneakers for weekend and hot weather, more streetwear - e.g. yeezy 350 v2 in white
2 pairs of casual winter boots - Timberlands Premium 6

What is the most important, I would like to buy this set once and don't have a problem with shoes for another couple of years - I would of course wear a different pair every day, however I think that the most used pairs gonna be chukkas and brogues.

Taking everything into account, I've got a couple question to you guys:
1. Are my "set" described above is good enough or should I include something more?
2. Is 1 pair of brogues enough or should I invest in 2 pairs?
3. My propositions about particular models: Second chukka: Loake Kempton, Crockett and Jones Chiltern Brogues: Tricker's Bourton or Crockett and Jones Pembroke, Black oxford captoes: Loake Aldwych or Crockett and Jones Hallam, Sneakers: JAK Royal sneakers, "Streetwear" sneakers: Yeezy 350 v2, and 2 pairs of Timberlands Premium 6
4. Any other propositions that I didn't include above?
5. Would it be expected to last about 10 years? Let's say about 30-45 minutes of walk outside per day more or less, plus about 2-3 hours on weekends.
6. Is it good to invest in more expensive models (e.g. C&J vs. Trickers or C&J vs. Loake Aldwych (the black captoes won't be used much I suppose)? Recently I've compared my pimlicos with Church's Ryder 3 and in fact I think that the suede is nicer on Loake, but I don't know if e.g. Crockett and Jones Chiltern are far superior or not compared to Loake. Sadly, I don't have a possibility to check out any of C&J or Tricker's in person.

I would be grateful of any ideas or remarks, I am aware that there might be no good answers, so any voice in the discussion is appreciated :)

kodreaming

Reaction score
Interesting thread. I am also thinking to rebuild my wardrobe and want to start with shoes. I mostly wear jeans but want to dress up a bit with shoes. Nowadays, I either wear an Alden Suede Chukka Boot or just a pair of high rise sneaker. I work in tech, so I also don't want to look too out of place (like patent leather, etc).

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Add prices you expect to pay? Many times you can find high-end (e.g., Edward Green) shoes on sale and using ebay.

shopcanoeclub

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yep ^ your budget would help. I can help out with that leather sneaker/CP/streetwear-y shoe. It all depends how much cheddar you're willing to drop, but if I were to get a pair of sneaks that I wanted to both last for a very long time AND looked killer, I'd start with something like Hender Scheme or Feit.. or even Stepney Workers Club - are you familiar with them? I'm thinking longevity without being an overkill of "long wearing products, made in america, heavy materials, etc."

Maladjusted

Reaction score
Well, I suppose about 500 EUR a pair might be acceptable, however I would like to see the difference than e.g. 200 EUR a pair

20190108_171212.jpg .

Recently I've got Crocket And Jones Hallam and they are amazing, and I consider it much better than e.g. Loake Aldwych, which are alright, but C&J are just better.

I've also ordered Church's Ryder 3, suede is not as nice as on Loake Pimlico, however I like the shape and got good price.

@shopcanoeclub I've checked them out and I like only Feit, however I'm not sure if a leather sole would be a good choice for the sneakers.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, I would absolutely argue against trying to buy 8-10 pairs of shoes in a short period of time. Essentially when you talk about shoes lasting 8-10 years you're in the over $200 range. And, depending on what you like you could be well over $200. It was about 12 years ago that I went down this same path. The first 2 pairs of casual/dress casual shoes I bought were Allen Edmonds shoes. Great quality. However, I will say the models I chose are my least worn shoes now. One because of how the foot bed feels and one just because my sense of style has changed. I've added countless shoes both dress and casual and boots as well. There's a high likelihood your sense of style will change so you might find yourself not liking 4 or 5 pairs a year or two from now.

I suggest you look at the problem slightly differently. First, determine the types of outfits you absolutely know you are going to wear in the next 2 years.
If you're not wearing suits daily and just a couple times a year, that shouldn't be the driver. So, the black cap-toe shoe isn't the best starting option.
Now, you don't want to wear the same pair of shoes 8 hours a day every day. So, you want at least 2 pairs that you can alternate for work. 1 pair mid to dark brown, 2nd pair burgundy (unless you wear a lot of black then the 2nd pair should be black - black works with grey, navy and black pants).
That's it for now for work.

For casual - again I would go with a single pair of shoes and 1 boot. I would make sure the boots have rubber sole and good tread so appropriate for bad weather.

That's it. No more than 4 pairs to start. Wear them for a year and see what you like/don't like and what you're really wearing vs what you thought you would wear.

Everything out there has pros/cons. I have shoes/boots from Alden, Allen Edmonds, Whites, Rancourt and Company and they all have pros/cons. For example, the White's boots are by far the most comfortable. I have dress boots from Allen Edmonds that are the only ones I would wear with coat/tie but the Alden Indy's gather the most compliments - they're just a great and unique style.

Now, I have probably gotten about 1/2 my AE shoes from their seconds sales - so that was a great way to save money and you have to look hard to find the "defects" in them - none are noticeable. So, I would always advocate for buying from top brands and look for sales rather than just trying to buy a certain quantity of shoes.

I also purchased a pair of suede chuckas last year I thought I'd wear more but I don't - I don't like the foot bed of them. They're AE as well and despite me liking most of my AE shoes this is the 2nd pair that has a foot bed that isn't as comfortable as I'd like.

Just another example of : don't buy a whole bunch of shoes right away. By a few to get started and buy a pair or two a year after the first year.

GMcMillan

Reaction score
For a black captoe bal, I actually like the AE Park Avenue/Fifth Avenue more than anything. (Maybe my favorite shoes ever made other than the Alden suede tassel mocs, C&J tobacco suede captoe bals, and my AE graysons with a 10-year natural patina.)

Edward Hyde

Reaction score
Have you looked at RM Williams for your boots? (they are incredible and have custom options)
And why is nobody mentioning Barkers?

once a day

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We always vouch for C&J - great value for these shoes. Worth every hard earned Swedish krona ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads