• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes for TALL, skinny guy?

CarllraC

Reaction score
I need to find some shoes to wear with jeans and an untucked casual dress shirt. I am tall as **** and skinny.

I am thinking primarily of styles right now, rather than specific models.

Black is best, right, to be a it more dressy of a shoe?
Since I am so tall, square toe is better than pointed, right? Round not so good, either?
Designs on the sides? What do you think?

If you want to point out styles, that's great. If specific models, that's good too, and I can infer the styles.

Thanks!!!

nino

Reaction score
Avoid square toes at all costs.
I would get a black or brown chelsea or chukka boot.

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Black? Maybe. Square toed? Probably not.

Give some more details (height, weight, shoe size) for better answers.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StevenRocks
Black? Maybe. Square toed? Probably not.

Give some more details (height, weight, shoe size) for better answers.

Check out the "Casual/party shoes" Thread, plenty of wild designs that look good with jeans on there (like my blue scuffed leather ones, sure they are pointy but eh). I am tall, Skinny, and also do the untucked cas dress shirt and dark indigo, Love my shoes.

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CarllraC
6'4"
175 lbs
Size 13 (USA) shoes

Thanks.

I'd go with brown rather than black because it's more versatile. Since you're skinny with big feet, it should be a shoe with a little detail in the toe area to break up the mass. Blucher (open lacing) rather than balmoral (closed lacing) since it's casual. Nothing too agressive in the soler area, because it's not in right now.

Does that help, or are you looking for a specific model?

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
Check out the "Casual/party shoes" Thread, plenty of wild designs that look good with jeans on there (like my blue scuffed leather ones, sure they are pointy but eh). I am tall, Skinny, and also do the untucked cas dress shirt and dark indigo, Love my shoes.
Did you ever get a photo of those shoes w/ jeans on?

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah I did, Ill go post that up, i didnt remember to get someone to take a pic from their perspective of my shoes/pants so I had to do it myself

MichaelVH

Reaction score
Bah, beat this:

6'8-1/2"
210 - thin, some muscle
Size 17 (USA) shoe

Yeah, thats right. I need a few new pairs of shoes. I wear a pair of beat up dark brown oxfords with jeans usually. I want to find some brown leather akle boots, maybe an ankle height leather sneaker and id like a full pair of boots. Just came across this thread as I was looking for posts that discuss height and proportion.

minimal

Reaction score
Dark brown RM Williams chelsea boot. (The "Craftsman").

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MichaelVH
Bah, beat this:

6'8-1/2"
210 - thin, some muscle
Size 17 (USA) shoe

Yeah, thats right. I need a few new pairs of shoes. I wear a pair of beat up dark brown oxfords with jeans usually. I want to find some brown leather akle boots, maybe an ankle height leather sneaker and id like a full pair of boots. Just came across this thread as I was looking for posts that discuss height and proportion.

Start at Nordstrom for size 17s.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Max

Reaction score
13 is doable at most stores, 17 is specialty shoe store territory.

As a slimming-down but still overweight dude who's only slightly taller than average, I don't really understand all this angst about being super tall and skinny. I suppose everyone's got their insecurities.

General guidelines: Think proprotion. Round toes and width make the foot look shorter. Pointy, narrow shoes lengthen the foot. Square toes just make you look like a guido.

MichaelVH

Reaction score
Thank you for the tip StevenRocks, Nordstrom does have an ankle boot I like at around 200.

Overall, I do enjoy my height. If im feeling outgoing and people ask me about my height, I usually make a few jokes and people relax and start opening up. People in public will approach me, not that my height it that important but it's an easy way them to strike up a conversation.

Perhaps I have insecurities about my height, I don't like the feeling of looking awkward and that is why I have an interest in clothes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads