1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoes for residency interview - is black necessary?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by prs14, May 4, 2013.

1. prs14

prs14 Member

Excellent, saw one of our neursurg attendings wearing an amazing suit today. Are you a resident? How do you have time to surf SF? My roommate and several other close friends will be applying in NSG.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  2. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

3. Valproate

Valproate Senior member

I wouldn't risk it for plastics or ophthalmology. Plastic surgeons and ophtho's (not surprisingly) have a good eye. Any other surgical sub and you'd be okay. When I was on the interview trail for an internship in internal medicine, I've seen the worst dressed interviewees: pinstriped suits with Dansko's clogs. Really? If you're going to play with fire with pinstripes, you gotta at least match it with an appropriate pair of shoes (might as well go whole-hog and go with a sharp pair of bourbon shoes and a matching belt).

4. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Senior member

I didn't want to discourage him... 8 long years of training for Electrophyisology... :fu:

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  5. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Senior member

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  6. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

It's best that his spirit be broken now.

7. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

...agreed. Interviewers usually ask a few throw-away questions to find out if you bullshxtted them about your qualifications. After that, it's about selling who you are. It's about confidence and communication skills. If you have those two things (and you didn't bullshxt on your qualifications), then you'll make a great impression, and they'll be more willing to up your pay during negotiation.

8. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

:lol: Well done doctor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_valproate

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  9. prs14

prs14 Member

Too late (;

I think I'll probably break down and pick up some black shoes just so I don't feel self conscious about it since most plastic surgeons I've worked with have extremely good fashion sense and would notice if I'm stepping outside of the norms. I really like the kent wangs I have (esp. compared to Allen Edmonds at a similar price point) and am considering these:

[​IMG]

Does anyone have any other recommendations around the same price ($350)?