• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes for Pants with Narrow Opening

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My tailor just pointed out today how narrow the opening is on the pant leg of the pants that came with my Corneliani suit. Is there a type of shoe that goes better with pants that have a narrow opening at the bottom? For example, when I wear my Concord monkstraps with Corneliani pants, the pants don't drape that well over the shoe because the shoe is more sustantial at the top and instep. What shoes do you wear with trousers that have a narrow opening at the bottom?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sleek oxfords for me. Some have no compunction wearing bulkier shoes with them.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything but monkstraps! The buckle will show and keep the pants from laying right.

You also need to hem your pants quite high. You're looking for a "no break" with narrow opening pants, especially if your shoes are already riding high on the ankle.

!luc

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chelsea boots also work well, as they continue the line from trouser bottoms to high vamp.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
Anything but monkstraps! The buckle will show and keep the pants from laying right.

You also need to hem your pants quite high. You're looking for a "no break" with narrow opening pants, especially if your shoes are already riding high on the ankle.

!luc

When I asked my tailor today to show me what it would look like to have no break, he showed me that because the opening is narrow it would have to be cut really high for their to be no break - so that basically in the back the pants are coming up to almost the top of my shoe (it's hard to explain, but a wider bottom pant can be cut lower and still have less of a break because the front of your foot is lower to the ground than your instep is). So, I had him cut the pants so that they are about .5 inch up from where the sole of my shoe starts as a kind of compromise between having it not break too much in the front and having it not be too high in the back. We'll see how it turns out.

Originally Posted by whoopee
Chelsea boots also work well, as they continue the line from trouser bottoms to high vamp.

Now this seems like a very interesting suggestion. I'm definitely going to have to give this a try.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
When I asked my tailor today to show me what it would look like to have no break, he showed me that because the opening is narrow it would have to be cut really high for their to be no break - so that basically in the back the pants are coming up to almost the top of my shoe
Yes, well... that's what I wrote
wink.gif

anyway, I second the chelsea boot option, very 60s or Austin Power
tounge.gif

!luc

phaedrus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee

I agree, I like to wear Chelsea boots with my slimmer trousers, for me its the consistent line from the trouser to the boot that I think looks good.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
When I asked my tailor today to show me what it would look like to have no break, he showed me that because the opening is narrow it would have to be cut really high for their to be no break - so that basically in the back the pants are coming up to almost the top of my shoe
Ask for your trousers to be slanted to the back (have the back about 1/2 to 3/4" longer in the back than in the front).
That's easily done with plain bottoms (but can't be done with turn-ups).

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a sleek monk (no cap, no seam) is perfect for that look.

I do and my buckles don't get caught up (Aldens and Certos)

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alflauren
Italian suit? Italian loafers. Ferragamo or something like that.

Yeah, I have a pair of the Tramezza Fervido bit loafers that would probably go great because they are cut low and open, but I suppose you're not supposed to wear loafers with a suit (though I will anyway).

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
The break (or lack of) on the trousers is going to be more important than the shoe. Even if you're wearing the "right shoe", it will look awkward if the trouser length isn't just right.

I also like chelsea boots or a slim oxford with narrow trousers (which most of mine are)

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel

You also need to hem your pants quite high. You're looking for a "no break" with narrow opening pants

Dscn3329.jpg

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd wear something sleek, with an elongated last.

Don't worry too much about the no-break thing. I do what you did, and I think it's a good compromise. No break looks ridiculous on me, especially while walking or sitting. Partially because I'm tall(ish). Above all, wear what you'll be confident in.

*edit: 1k posts. for the second time!

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I wish I could find decent black Chelseas for around the $100 mark (which apparently aren't CT). Anyways, I believe the rule is to just wear higher vamp shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads