• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes for light pants

litaupu

Reaction score
Hello,
Recently got these light pants for summer, now looking for shoes to wear with them.
Just a few criteria:
  • must be light-weighted
  • should be wearable with jeans(light?) & jacket(black?/navy?) which i plan on getting later
  • should be wearable at summer(up to 90F)
I was looking at these loathers
http://www.bugatti-shoes.com/herren....72b746a7716375
But i guess they are a little too dark. Or loathers is a bad idea over all ?

the pants with black boots

Or maybe they don't look that bad with the black boots ? Plus white shirt.

Thanks for the advice, i know my choices may seem very bad but everybody has to start somewhere
smile.gif

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by litaupu
I was looking at these loathers http://www.bugatti-shoes.com/herren....72b746a7716375
:vomit: Those trousers look pretty casual, I'd probably suggest to stick to a boot, possibly a suede chukka. Those won't really be light and summery though, but then neither are those trousers really... Loafers might work, not sure though, maybe boat shoes or something instead. I think with the colour of the trousers you're better off contrasting with black or dark brown rather than looking for light shoes. Please don't buy those Bugatti shoes, they're hideous.

Reaction score
Thos Bugattis really are a horror show. I'd second the suede derby option, maybe something like these Grensons. I would also suggest if you are looking for a more 'refined' look--those trousers are still very casual--then it'd be worth having a look for a pair or more classic chinos or similar. Gap has a pretty decent range of cheap chinos and other more lightweight 'tailored' cotton trousers. I got a few pairs this spring and they are perfect for hotter weather. These, for example, work well for me with cap-toe oxfords, loafers, boat shoes, pretty much anything in brown (or blue or anything except black!).

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those trousers are very casual. Hence, look for a casual shoe. Driving mocs, boat shoes, chuka boots, sandals (not flip flops) or sneakers.

Do NOOOT buy those ugly Bugatti shoes.

litaupu

Reaction score
Ok, clear on the buggati !
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
I think with the colour of the trousers you're better off contrasting with black or dark brown rather than looking for light shoes.
So black shoes isn't a no-no for light pants ?
Then the top should be some kind of dark too ? (vs. light trousers + white top + black boots).

I'll look at some boat shoes / chuka boots then.

Originally Posted by forzagaribaldi
if you are looking for a more 'refined' look--those trousers are still very casual--

Actually I am (at least trying) ! Too bad for the trousers, i kinda liked them. They somehow stood out of all the chinos, these are 'slim fit' which i kinda like. They aren't tight but a little bit narrower.

I'm also looking for a blazer/jacket, but can't find a 'slim-fit' one locally. All are too wide. I'm looking for one with narrower waist, so the chest & shoulders look wider. I guess i got those 'narrower' trousers for the same reason. Is that bad thinking ?
smile.gif

Thanks for the responses. Saved me from those buggati (& loafers overall).

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are about $50 if you wait for a 40% off + free shipping coupon and work lovely with all kinds of pants, including jeans. If you can afford something more expensive, then, of course, there are plenty of choices.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Agreed. Those Bugattis are terrible. Luckily Mark McNairy can provide some insight into this question. Now these shoes are true works of art and appear to be up your alley as well. http://lockerz.com/s/107002861
facepalm.gif

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
recently, i bought a pair of the sperry deck shoes. I was a bit hesitant, but i needed something to wear with chinos and jeans that werent dress shoes or my suede chukkas. ill be a sonofabitch if I dont wanna wera them every day. Opens up a wide variety of chinos too. best shoe purchase ive made in a while. welll......not the best...but i like em.

Reaction score
whereabouts are you litaupu? Guessing from your bugatti link that you’re in Germany?

litaupu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
+1. Excellent choice, those are exactly what I was thinking of.

I kinda feel like they are a little bit too 'classic'. They look nice, but i want something more 'youthful'.
Originally Posted by DerekS
recently, i bought a pair of the sperry deck shoes.
You mean something like this ? http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ZQXmUvgXfK...ider-front.jpg

Originally Posted by forzagaribaldi
whereabouts are you litaupu? Guessing from your bugatti link that you're in Germany?
Not far. Europe -> Baltic region.

I guess the style that i'm aiming at (if it's possible to call it style ? ) is something like this:
this
this (#1)
or this
I guess it's pretty casual.

What about something like these ? I guess they could be categorized as sneakers, but they're suede. Too casual.

By the way i noticed that most people here focus on more official clothing
smile.gif
I like that, but the fact is that i'm an 20 year-old university student, with that in mind wearing a suit daily isn't really an option.

Thanks for the responses.

Reaction score
Aside from Sperrys, you might also want to look at Superga or Tretorn for more sports-type shoes. I have a pair of Tretorns (similar to these) as my ‘sports’ shoes. They've lasted a few years too. I still think a pair of suede derbys or chukka boots would work perfectly with the looks you linked to as what you are aiming for. A lot of the students here are wearing this kind of look. It’s not about wearing a suit but showing some thought and flair in the way you dress. You are twenty after all, not twelve ;-) Should have guessed from your username that you’re in the baltics. Not sure what your shop selection is like where you are but you could probably achieve a pretty cheap but casual, tailored look using any of Gap, Zara, Uniqlo, Muji, Topshop, H&M. Good luck!

ktrp

Reaction score
You should solicit advice from the 'streetwear and denim' subforum. Men's clothing is more traditionally focused.

That said, I'm now tempted by the price on those suede bucks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads