• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoes for jeans

dakine

Reaction score
Quick question, APC New Standard and a pair of Redwing GT's in either colour, yay/nay (will it even fit with the tapering on the NS?).

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wmmk, on second thought, yes the hybrids still look bad.

I recommended those wing-tips because they seemed more available and not too expensive (relative to other brands of dress shoes). Plus the clunky ones just happen to be my preference at the moment (see the shoe Appreciation thread). Now not all wing-tips need to be clunky, I recently sold a pair of Church's that are REAL dress shoes, and were slim and elegant.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320325090248

A lot of young fellows in NYC are wearing beat-up wingtips with skinny jeans and look quite good. I suspect they get them at Goodwill or some other thrift shop. If I had the heart to take a pair of quality shoes and scratch the hell out of the uppers then I'd take on that look as well. However it's my instinct to keep dress shoes polished, boots are another matter. Anyways, it's not a bad idea if you want to do something different and you'll look many times better.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jaynei, triple post much?

anyway, MiniW, what exactly is it that makes the grey hybrids bad? I personally sort of like them, but I'm sure all the bashing that they're taking isn't totally unprincipled.

Another issue with real wingtips is that I have big, flat feet. My size 12-13 would only accentuate the clown-shoe effect, and I need shoes with a removable footbed that I can slip my orthotics into.

Anyway, the reasons that I like those Generic Surpluses are that they're cheap, slim, casual enough for school, and still have the wingtip detailing which I feel fits in with the rest of my style. So, assuming they are seriously crappy shoes as you say they are, what else would you recommend that might fit some of my criteria?

Racove

Reaction score
i dunno anything about the quality or brand of the gray suede wingtip sneakers, but i actually think they might fit what you are looking for.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say a classic American longwing wingtip with a double sole. Aldens are great, or grab some Florsheims or Dexters if money's an issue. You can generally find 'em used in a vintage shop, they'll never go out of style. Brown or black, if you get lucky and find some made of shell cordovan they'll last a lifetime.

rbny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nate10184
Get some brown boots. Chelseas, Chukkas, or Jodphurs. I don't think they can be beat for wear with jeans.

I agree. I would add Red Wings and Alden Indy's also in some shade of tan/brown to that list.

dbtbandit67

Reaction score
lol you talk as if 21 is old. anyways, my every day all-around shoes are brooks running shoes. and they look splendid in jeans. a lot of people will recognize what you are wearing as some of the best, quality, durable running shoes around, i get compliments frequently. http://www.brooksrunning.com/

but if you wanted something that looks nice with blue jeans.. i always liked the way lugz matched with blue jeans. i know i'm going to get chided for this (that's so high school!) but thats how i feel, they look nice together. if not lugz, the type of material that goes into those... light brown suedish type.. boots. something like this would also look good with blue jeans http://www.thewalkingcompany.com/com...ource=category hope that helps! =)

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I tried on the Generic Surplus oxfords today at U.O. They weren't terrible, but uncomfortably narrow. I found that odd, considering the fact that the Generic Man shoes are reputed to have significantly wider toeboxes than Common Projects, et al.

Anyway, I'm looking for shoes that would go well with my whole "Ivy League-inspired streetwear" look that wouldn't look too out of place in high school, have removable (and by removable, I mean something you can rip out, even if it's not meant to come out easily) insoles, and a last that's slightly wide, but not too boxy looking. Any suggestions?

Racove

Reaction score
"Ivy League-inspired streetwear" = Jack Purcells and Sperry Top-siders

Poomba

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Racove
"Ivy League-inspired streetwear" = Jack Purcells and Sperry Top-siders

Quoddy baby, Quoddy.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ for something classic look at some J crew catalogs. Or if you are feeling more dramatic, check out the polo Rugby website. That pretty much defines Ivy league "street" wear in my mind. Avoid buying any actual "rugby" shirts or anything with a skull or cross-bones on it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads