• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoes for freakish feet

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
ok so I have never sought advice for this so please be kind.

I had surgery for hammer toe when I was just a toddler. both my middle toes have no reflex (muscle).... which has caused 3 things: my 2nd toes have grown exceedingly long to compensate (knuckle to knuckle they are the same length as my pinky), my 2nd and middle toe sits flat with no real arch, and the remainder sprawl out to the side to compensate.

I've never really had a pair of dress shoes that have had a good fit and relied heavily on skater shoes growing up for their cavernous toe areas.

I measure out to a 9.5D, but typically have to buy 10-10.5E's and liberal amounts of use of a spreader just to get my foot in but it feels like I'm just going about things wrong.

I've had decent luck over the years with AEs, but have been very hesitant to branch out past that.

Any feedback would be comforting.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would suggest you try Alden's Barrie last. It offers quite a roomy toe area.

Mike147

Reaction score
If in NYC - I would also try Eneslow. Might be able to make something for you custom or try a brand like Otabo. They have made two pairs or orthotics for me in the past 6-7 years and I have been very happy with them. I don't think they're gonna fit you with a RTW shoe - they'll probably steer you towards something customizable. Ask for Herman - he's a technician, not a shoe salesman. The guy is fantastic. Men's shoes are upstairs, custom fit area is downstairs, behind the ladies section.

The guys at Moulded Shoe are very good and will likely try to fit you in an Alden Modified Last or something else from Alden. Ask for Ron... I've purchased half a dozen pairs from Ron in the past 5-6 years. They've been great to deal with - if you can wear the Modified Last comfortably, they will likely have some Alden Special Make-ups that will work for business. A special make-up in Calf is going to run you $450+...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics