1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

shoes for fledgling professional wardrobe

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cl5, May 7, 2005.

1. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Unfortunately, strictly speaking, you are wrong. 'Goodyear' is a method...the machine came about to speed up factory production of this method. Also, a welt is a welt - it's not made in any particular way.

2. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

Sorry, I meant feather meant welt.

3. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

To Boot's a brand, not a manufacturer, and I've seen many different quality levels in the shoes. Some are very forgettable, some are decent.

4. cpac

cpac Senior member

(alchimiste @ May 09 2005,22:01) When I asked about these Manton told me they are rather overpriced. And Nordstrom did not have my size anyway.
    To Boot's a brand, not a manufacturer, and I've seen many different quality levels in the shoes. Some are very forgettable, some are decent.
    Looking at their website it appears that their prices have gone up significantly. I bought my current black calfskin lace-ups at Saks for the normal price of $225 and wouldn't pay much more than that for To Boot shoes. Not sure where this $350+ thing is coming from, but at around the $200 price point, I think you get a great looking, well made shoe. (FWIW, the Saks guy a year or so ago when I last purchased a pair agreed that they were some of the best you could get for the money)

5. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Rider,

Nice ones. I wear Alden 10 1/2. How does that convert to Borgioli?

Thanks,

John

6. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Thanks. As far as I am aware, it should be the same size...10.5. I don't carry Alden, so I am not familiar with all of their lasts.

7. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I wear Alden 10 1/2. Â How does that convert to Borgioli?
    Thanks. Â As far as I am aware, it should be the same size...10.5. Â I don't carry Alden, so I am not familiar with all of their lasts.
    The site has the sizes listed as: 42.5 - M 43 - M 43.5 - M 44.5 - M 45 - M 45.5 - M 46 - M

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Um, not sure if this is helpful, but 43.5 *usually* corresponds to a 10.5 US, though there are exceptions.

9. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Thanks, LA.

10. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm a US 12 and I generally take a 46.

11. thinman

thinman Senior member

12. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

I am a 10.5 US and this has been my experience.

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I am a 10.5 or 11 US, and the corresponding Italian size is nearly always 43.5 and 44, respectively. In sneakers, this is nearly uniform. In other shoes, sometimes a 10.5 is also marked a 44 (or vice versa). I've never seen a 10.5 US marked as corresponding to an Italian 44.5...

14. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

I normally wear an 11 in Italian shoes and get a 44.5. Seems to be a bit of discord here.

15. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Ahh, sorry - I forgot I had the site labeled in EU sizes...

44.5 is a 10.5

Generally speaking -

47=13
    46=12
    45.5=11.5
    45=11
    44.5=10.5
    44=10
    43.5=9.5
    43=9
    42.5=8.5
    42=8
    41.5=7.5
    41=7

16. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm a 10D US, and depending on the last and maker, I'm usually either a 43.5 (most Vass lasts) or a 44 (Vass U-lasts, the one Borgioli last that I've tried).

17. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Depends on the width of the shoe and of your foot - for most Italian shoes, Rider's list is the one to go by. I wish more makers would acknowledge that - a 45 is NOT a 12 in most makes, drives me nuts... The marked sizes on most brands work only for people with ideally shaped, and probably narrow(ish) feet.

For more standard widths/last shapes, shift the list up 1/2 size.

18. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

In my humble opinion...

Quality counts, whatever our age, profession or bank balance.

Men who know there stuff would look at them and not take you seriously. On the other hand a pair of Crockett & Jones Hangrades (E.G. Weymouth in antique brown and then Aintree in Black alternated) will be a stand out choice noticed by the discerning and quietly admired by those with no idea.

19. ginlimetonic

ginlimetonic Senior member

in summary, you can tell a man by his shoes...

20. ginlimetonic

ginlimetonic Senior member

l love those style of shoes. l have afew Pradas that look like those. The problem is that they are only average quality (not bad though). l say; wear them with your suits to the bank. There is nothing wrong with those.

to be honest, I've quite new to shoes but i find them very plain and boring. If you're buying Prada or Gucci, its 95% goes to buying the label and 5% goes to quality and craftsmanship