1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoes for Black Tie Wedding: AE Leeds or Kenilworth?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by blazikenburns, Oct 19, 2015.

1. blazikenburns

blazikenburns New Member

I'm going to a Black Tie wedding in December. My first ever black tie event!

Here's the thing: I own no black dress shoes. I've got brown shoes and boots of many stripes (wingtip bluchers, brogued cap toes, split toes, chukkas...), but I'm a grad student/teacher and never have cause to wear a suit or business attire.

So, I need shoes to go with a tux, but I don't want to go for patent or pumps. I want calf shoes that I can polish up for this, but work as black dress shoes thereafter. I'm aware that oxfords are preferable to bluchers/derbies, but from what I can tell, nowadays a plain blucher is basically ok. Besides, I have very wide feet and find bluchers more comfortable.

I can pick up AE Kenilworths or Leeds from the shoebank in my size for basically a song, so I want to stick to one of those.

AE's description of the Kenilworth explicitly mentions it as a tuxedo shoe, but most people seem to think that the Leeds is a more casual shoe. To me, they look like they could be worn more or less interchangeably; they're both very plain, unadorned bluchers. The Leeds has a thicker sole, which I suppose is more casual. But honestly, I have a more or less athletic physique with wide shoulders and large thighs and calfs, and I think excessively sleek shoes look anemic on me.

Mostly, I find AE's 1 last a lot more comfortable and suitable to my feet than the 5 last, so I'm inclined to go with the Leeds, though I acknowledge it is the less traditional choice. I am mostly looking for people to caution me if this is way off base, and that the Kenilworth is much more appropriate in a black tie situation.

2. theplayerking

theplayerking Well-Known Member

I own both styles. Neither is, strictly speaking, appropriate for black tie (but you know that already). The Leeds is a very substantial (some might say bulky) shoe. Both are extremely comfortable and two of my all time favorites. If I were forced to choose, I would go with the Kenilworths.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. BKBridge

BKBridge Well-Known Member

The kenilworth is as appropriate as you can get with an non-balmoral AE shoe. Pretty must the sleekist most formal derby they offer, I frequently wear with a suit. The leeds is way too clunky/casual for black tie imho.

4. theplayerking

theplayerking Well-Known Member

Here is a side-by-side comparison. The welt is much larger on the Leeds. This is a Leeds 2.0, by the way, and not the one that's available at the ShoeBank.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015