• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes for a hindu

Allen

Reaction score
My hindu friend is having his wedding in two weeks now and he has no shoes. Why? You might ask. Well, he's hindu and he refuses to buy the calf leather oxfords I told him to because they are... well... made of leather. Any ideas on what he could wear on his wedding day that's not made of leather and that won't make him look like he's ready to go for a jog? I was thinking Prince Albert slippers, but they might be a bit off
laugh.gif

viator

Reaction score
What about shoes made from leather that's not cow leather? Say, shell cordovan?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Allen
My hindu friend is having his wedding in two weeks now and he has no shoes. Why? You might ask. Well, he's hindu and he refuses to buy the calf leather oxfords I told him to because they are... well... made of leather. Any ideas on what he could wear on his wedding day that's not made of leather and that won't make him look like he's ready to go for a jog? I was thinking Prince Albert slippers, but they might be a bit off
laugh.gif

There's a few classic styles here if you wade through the skate sneakers and Kenneth Cole-ish pieces.
10022_0c.html
Originally Posted by viator
They'll probably still have a cow leather sole, or at least a cow leather welt.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Allen
My hindu friend is having his wedding in two weeks now and he has no shoes.
What does he wear now? I mean, he does have some shoes, right?

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This might be a good business opportunity for someone with access to Hindu markets. It had never occurred to me just how much cow goes onto my feet.

ajv

Reaction score
He can have some shoes made in India. Silk, wool or cotton upper and a glued sole made of goat.
But if he is a very religious hindu he will not wear anything made from an animal as animals are producing feeces and are thus not pure.......

Life can be tough......

Adrian

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indians wear leather, besides it's one of the biggest cow leather markets out there really, you'd be surprised.

Allen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator
No, no, won't work, he won't accept any kind of leather
Originally Posted by Bounder
What does he wear now? I mean, he does have some shoes, right?
Of course he does. Tennis shoes. He's an IT guy, so he goes to work in athletic shoes, no one noticed so far.
Originally Posted by ajv
But if he is a very religious hindu he will not wear anything made from an animal as animals are producing feeces and are thus not pure.......
Unfortunately, that's the case. As I was saying, I thought about velvet, but i think it would be improper. edit: @indianboyz: well, apparently, not all of them. I dunno much about indian culture, but i know that Japan used to be vegetarian and now they are eating beef like nobody's business.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IndianBoyz
Indians wear leather, besides it's one of the biggest cow leather markets out there really, you'd be surprised.

Being Indian is not the same as being Hindu. Just as being English is not the same as being Christian.

ajv

Reaction score
Allen,

velvet could work, but what about the sole....?

ajv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
Being Indian is not the same as being Hindu. Just as being English is not the same as being Christian.

Yep, India can be considered one of the biggest muslim nations in the world with about 168 millions of them, just behind Indonesia with about 207 millions.

Adrian

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads