Shoes: C&J or Carmina?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mac, Jan 28, 2011.

1. iand

iand Senior member

I love the shape of the Carmina. I was going to ask you what is the shoe in your avatar.

2. Mac

Mac Senior member

I love the shape of the Carmina. I was going to ask you what is the shoe in your avatar.
    As do I. The shoes in my avatar are the Carminas. Edit: Not sure if that was rhetorical, but I'm fucking answering it anyway!

3. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

Actually, I've not been able to find one place that stocks C&J in Glasgow - even Kurt Geiger. However, I've been assured I can order and return if they don't fit.
    This is a strong argument in favour of C&J (as long as you like the styling of the shoe, in principle). I don't understand how people on this site order shoes online that they've never tried on, and whose last they've never tried on. When I try on shoes in a store, 2 out of 3 don't fit properly. [​IMG]

4. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

first decide whether you want punches or not

5. kev777

kev777 Senior member

Although i voted for the Carmina in the choices given my personal preference would be the Crockett & Jones Handgrade Belgrave so much so that i bought them [​IMG]

6. Mac

Mac Senior member

I want punches, but the problem is that KG only stock 7 or so styles of C&J shoes, so if I want the discount, I have to choose from those.

7. EBugatti

EBugatti Senior member

I feel you are really comparing apples to oranges here. One is a simple, cap toe bal, the other is a quarter brogue. Very different shoes. A better comparison might be the carmina and the C&J Belgrave in black.

8. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

What's the shoes purpose? Business? Funeral? Wedding? WAYWTF?

9. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

I'm still unclear as to the leather quality and tanning process for the Carmina. On these pictures, they look better IMO. IRL, I don't know.
    I've had C&J's on the 348 last and have a pair of Carmina's (same as the OP posted, but brown.) Without being an expert on leathers, quality of the Carmina's seems much better than C&J's benchgrades. Been wearing the Carmina's regularly for a month now and they seem to have a very good finish which doesn't scuff easily. Leather seems to be good quality, not super soft like some italian shoes, but seems like it would hold up well over time, but C&J is like that too. Personally I found the 348 to be too long a last, whereas the simpson last from Carmina is more balanced in shape and a little roomier in the toe-box

10. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

I think you picked an especially unflattering photo of the Hallam. Here are some better ones

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't seen Carminas in real life, however, I found Hallams less appealing in person than I do online (though I still think they're one of the more amazing models on the market). That said, judging just from their online photos, I'd go with Carmina.

By the way, in searching for Hallam photos, I found this thread

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=126693

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

I want punches, but the problem is that KG only stock 7 or so styles of C&J shoes, so if I want the discount, I have to choose from those.

then the choice is obvious

12. Marcellionheart

Marcellionheart Senior member

I know a girl who works at Kurt Geiger, so I can get the Hallams for £200. But, I want the Carmina shoes.

You have answered your own question.

13. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

Plus the avatar tells it all.

14. Mac

Mac Senior member

I went to the bank today to deposit money into the card connected to my PayPal. Just awaiting an email back from The Armoury.

Thanks guys.

Also, any reason why The Armoury doesn't stock Carmina shoe trees? Too expensive?

15. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

I went to the bank today to deposit money into the card connected to my PayPal. Just awaiting an email back from The Armoury.

Thanks guys.

Also, any reason why The Armoury doesn't stock Carmina shoe trees? Too expensive?

Good luck with the Carmina shoes! Definitely post some pics once you get them.