1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoes: C&J or Carmina?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mac, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Mac

Mac Senior member

I'm stuck between my next shoe purchase:

Crockett & Jones Hallam:

[​IMG]

or, Carmina Black Punched Captoe Oxford:

[​IMG]

While I prefer the styling of the Carmina shoes, how do they compare in quality?

2. Viral

Viral Senior member

tough one...........can't go wrong either way, and the pricing is almost on par.

Get both!!

3. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

^^ I thought the Hallam would be cheaper

4. Mac

Mac Senior member

The Carmina are £307 from The Armoury, and I can get the C&J for £200. Is it worth the extra £100 to go with Carmina? I really want to. Please justify it for me. [​IMG] Regarding quality, are they both on par?

5. Viral

Viral Senior member

from what I understand, the US-dollar equivalent for both would work out to be within $50 or so, after takes, shipping, duties, etc.

6. Mac

Mac Senior member

I know a girl who works at Kurt Geiger, so I can get the Hallams for £200. But, I want the Carmina shoes.

7. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

The Carmina is 487 USD plus shipping. The Hallam is 377 USD including shipping. I am assuming the OP is based in the US

8. Mac

Mac Senior member

I'm in the UK.

9. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

I had the Hallams in brown but sold them. I didnt like their shape. I have the Prestwood (same last but a blucher) and I really like it.

10. pscolari

pscolari Senior member

I would go with Carmina. Unless you have access to their stores in Paris or Spain, there hasn't been a place to buy online in about 5 years. Not to mention those shoes are awesome.

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Quality? Sure the quality is there. However, unless you plan to wear these shoes for the next 15 years daily and run them into the ground, I think that either one at this level would not fall apart. Dont concern yourself so much with "quality" - get which one you like looking at better.

12. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Senior member

I would buy the C&J.

13. Mac

Mac Senior member

Quality? Sure the quality is there. However, unless you plan to wear these shoes for the next 15 years daily and run them into the ground, I think that either one at this level would not fall apart. Dont concern yourself so much with "quality" - get which one you like looking at better.

Thanks Spoo, that's what I wanted to hear.

Poll added.

14. Mac

Mac Senior member

I had the Hallams in brown but sold them. I didnt like their shape. I have the Prestwood (same last but a blucher) and I really like it.

Were they too elongated?

15. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

For a black shoe like this I much prefer the style and last of the Carmina.

16. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

^^ I have 2 other shoes on the 348/358 and they look fine to my eye. But something about the Hallam didnt appeal

17. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

Try the C&J Audley in the handgrade line or better yet, the Belgrave or Welbeck. IMO, it is hard to beat the 337 last from C&J.

18. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

The Carmina are £307 from The Armoury, and I can get the C&J for £200. Is it worth the extra £100 to go with Carmina? I really want to. Please justify it for me. [​IMG] Regarding quality, are they both on par?
    I feel the Carminas would be between benchgrade and handgrades C&J but closer to handgrades. There is no doubt they look way better than the hallam. If they are from the Armoury, there is a chance you may be hit with VAT once they reach your shores, you may want to factor that into your decision making. Shipping to UK will cost you another 28 quids. I would in such a case, go with one of C&J handgrades, as suggested by the poster above.

19. Mac

Mac Senior member

If they are from the Armoury, there is a chance you may be hit with VAT once they reach your shores, you may want to factor that into your decision making. Shipping to UK will cost you another 28 quids.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Carmina. Best quality-price ratio in my opinion, and I like the shape of the lasts compared to my C&J's. But that is just my 2c.