• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes brands that compare to Allen Edmonds (in quality and same price or LESS preferably) NOT ALDEN

packbs

Reaction score
I like the value that Allen Edmonds offer for quality and price and while I know I can pay more and the shoe might be made better I don't really think I personally need a shoe that is better made. With my limited knowledge I doubt I would notice and I know 99.9% of the population wouldn't notice. I know most on this forum recommend Alden, but I am looking for something the same price as Allen Edmonds or less preferable. I am OK with buying seconds from companies, but I don't want to hunt ebay or the thrift stores. Thanks!

jkingrph

Reaction score
I honestly don't know today of anything that meets that criteria. Years ago I could get Florsehim (sp) Imperials that were well made. Today I simply have not been able to find them and stick with Allen Edmonds. To me they are very well made and best of all they have many styles available in very narrow widths which I need and are difficult to find in other brands

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're looking at full retail for AE, then I'd direct you to Justin Fitzpatrick or Carlos Santos.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I missed - why aren't you considering AE seconds? Heck, even on firsts, AE has had sales all month on various shoes. If you like AE, you just need to get on their mailing list to see when the sales are and what models are on sale - and check their seconds.

For more casual side, I've got shoes from Rancourt and Company - still American made and quality is up there with AE. A little less money but not the same opportunity for sales. If you need dress shoes there aren't as many options there.

packbs

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the responses so far.

I haven't looked at Justin Fitzpatrick or Carlos Santos previously. I will have to take a look at those.

I own a pair of Allen Edmonds and will probably buy another pair. The prices on their seconds are very reasonable. I just wanted to see if their are any options that I was missing. As you mentioned it appears their aren't that many options.

I did some more research and it appears Meermin and Carmina might be good options. The downside of those is that they don't seem to be readily available in US stores to try on and not have to deal with returns. Since there are limited options I may just have to deal with returns.

Does anyone have thoughts on Shoepassion or Cobblers Union?

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll try to limit my recommendations to the $400-500 range which I have personal experience (either ownership or handled in store).

In no particular order:
1) Cheaney: lesser known cousin of Church's. Sturdy English made shoes
2) Alfred Sargent Premier or Exclusive: AS has struggled due to inconsistent supply. Their shoes were quite attractive at the $500ish price point for Exclusive.
3) Loake 1880: similar to AS premier
4) Carmina: contemporary lasts as compared to AE. Rain and Simpson are both nice
5) Yanko: slightly inferior leather to Carmina. Less expensive than Carmina

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the responses so far.

I haven't looked at Justin Fitzpatrick or Carlos Santos previously. I will have to take a look at those.

I own a pair of Allen Edmonds and will probably buy another pair. The prices on their seconds are very reasonable. I just wanted to see if their are any options that I was missing. As you mentioned it appears their aren't that many options.

I did some more research and it appears Meermin and Carmina might be good options. The downside of those is that they don't seem to be readily available in US stores to try on and not have to deal with returns. Since there are limited options I may just have to deal with returns.

Does anyone have thoughts on Shoepassion or Cobblers Union?
If you're wanting higher quailty than AE avoid Meermin. It's hard to beat playing $250 for regular sales and seconds from AE, especially if you're not a D width.
Some other options are buying vintage NOS florsheim/Hanover/etc. You'll need to like classic long wing and PTB styling. https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...nance-and-advice.526196/page-256#post-9138502 for info.
There's also Grant Stone; I'm seeing really good quality for very competitive pricing.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the casual side Grant Stone and Oak Street Bootmakers.

packbs

Reaction score
All, thanks for the responses. I will research all the brands mentioned and if I end up making any purchases other then AE I will post my thoughts. Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads