• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoes around/under $500?

james48

Reaction score
I know im going to get yelled at, but im not interested in ebay/internet buys. I want to try them on and see it in person first, with the freedom to return it if i need to without dealing with shipping. Ive read santoni shoes in that range arent too great (i guess its all relative, but not worth the money?), ferragamo same thing, paul stuart same thing. I have a pair of allen edmonds, but im looking for somethin a little higher end. Thanks for any advice. fyi im in nyc

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crockett & Jones benchgrade

Alden's shell cordovan models

Gravati

Martegani

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Second crockett and jones. If you go to the store in turnbull and asser, try on sizes on lasts of interests (337 or 348 are always nice, elegant choices) and determine which you would buy, if any. Once you get your size, just order it from plal. You can get 337s, which are handgrades, that typically run $650 + tax, for $450 at plal at current exchange rates, with no tax or shipping. The benchgrade 348s will run you even cheaper than that. Technically, you have the opportunity to try it on, hold it, and appreciate it. Once you decide to buy from plal, hopefully you won't need to return or exchange. Plal will exchange no problem, but you pay $30 shipping back to malaysia. I think returns entails a nominal restocking fee. I ordered a pair and got it in about a week. No problemo. Wonderful shoes.

You can also check out Barneys. Harris shoes are good for the money at a little shy of $500, both in construction and styling if you see something you like. They are an Italian shoe which I've heard pretty decent things about on this board. I saw a pair I really liked on a visit, but they didn't have my size. Bastards.

sfo423

Reaction score
I want to try on the C&Js before a possible purchase as well. My only option is to go to BB's and try the Peal & Co. shoes for size.

Does anyone know if the Peal shoes share the same last as any of the C&J bench or handgrades?

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't you get EG-RLPL for ~$500 around season end sales?

kbuzz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Second crockett and jones. If you go to the store in turnbull and asser, try on sizes on lasts of interests (337 or 348 are always nice, elegant choices)
Not to be a dick but you may want to weigh the ethics of wasting a stores time adn then ording on the internet. My two cents is its just not right. I only say this because I have agonized over the same cj/ plal/turnbull in person issue. Why not take high road. Buy a pair at the store -ckeck the last then order more at plal.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kbuzz
Not to be a dick but you may want to weigh the ethics of wasting a stores time adn then ording on the internet. My two cents is its just not right. I only say this because I have agonized over the same cj/ plal/turnbull in person issue.

Why not take high road. Buy a pair at the store -ckeck the last then order more at plal.

Fair enough. I'm sure the OP should hear that as well. I personally don't feel bad about it, but I see your point. It is a little ackward going in, trying on several pairs, then leaving saying you'll think about it...

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sfo423
I want to try on the C&Js before a possible purchase as well. My only option is to go to BB's and try the Peal & Co. shoes for size.

Does anyone know if the Peal shoes share the same last as any of the C&J bench or handgrades?

No, the Peal & Company that are sold at Brooks Brothers are American, not English sized. I usually find that English shoes are 1/2 to 1 full size smaller than the corresponding American size.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james48
I know im going to get yelled at, but im not interested in ebay/internet buys. I want to try them on and see it in person first, with the freedom to return it if i need to without dealing with shipping. Ive read santoni shoes in that range arent too great (i guess its all relative, but not worth the money?), ferragamo same thing, paul stuart same thing. I have a pair of allen edmonds, but im looking for somethin a little higher end. Thanks for any advice. fyi im in nyc

Paul Stuart's English-made shoes are just fine. I think you should check them out. When they go on sale, they can be had for about $350 or so. I also ditto the suggestion that you go to the Crockett & Jones display at Turnbull & Asser and check them out.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
mantellassi

Word. Best shoes of the bunch mentioned here (assuming you are partial to the styling) but can't be had at under $500 retail and also I think they are only sold at Bergdorfs here in NYC and not sure for how much longer.

sfo423

Reaction score
Word. Best shoes of the bunch mentioned here (assuming you are partial to the styling) but can't be had at under $500 retail and also I think they are only sold at Bergdorfs here in NYC and not sure for how much longer.
If you have a Neimans in NYC, they should have a descent collection. They have about 5-10 different pair to choose from @ the San Fran NM.

kbuzz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Paul Stuart's English-made shoes are just fine. I think you should check them out. When they go on sale, they can be had for about $350 or so. out.

The PS English made are really really nice. I believe they are over 600 list. They do have regular sales 2-3x a year. BTW does anyone know when they are scheduled?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kbuzz
Not to be a dick but you may want to weigh the ethics of wasting a stores time adn then ording on the internet. My two cents is its just not right. I only say this because I have agonized over the same cj/ plal/turnbull in person issue. Why not take high road. Buy a pair at the store -ckeck the last then order more at plal.
I've never owned a store, but I think you might be overreacting a little on this one. I bet in some cases the store owners / clerks would not consider it a waste of their time, because it is likely to lead to future purchases. Their attention and expertise may win you over in the future, when you have more disposable income. You may pass on word about your good customer service experience to someone else who is planning to pay retail, or prefers not to order online for large pruchases. Just a thought....other opinions? I've probably done the worst of all....which is buy and then return because I found a better deal. Then they lose commision, pay for credit cards, etc. But I genuinely feel guilty for that one and don't do it often.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads