• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes and Suit for Professional Interview

jonnieFox

Reaction score
Hey guys, I will be interviewing for med school in March, and I need some help with my outfit.
I plan on wearing a simple SB suit with a white shirt and a conservative tie.

Shoes: I have a pair of Aldo "Devan" loafers, will these be formal enough with my suit? I wear them every day now with jeans, so they're pretty worn out. Maybe some polish will revive them.

Suit: What's the ideal color for a professional interview suit?

Thanks a lot!

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone might as well tell you the basics...

There are two good colors for suits when interviewing, navy and dark gray.

The ideal pair of shoes is a plain black leather lace-up, polished and in good condition. The Allen Edmonds Park Avenue is prototypical. The shoes above are terrible. Florsheim might be a safe cheap option for someone interviewing for medical school.

jonnieFox

Reaction score
Much obliged, and thanks for the Florsheim tip!!

Can you please elaborate on the shoes? Do you find them ugly in general, or just inappropriate for an interview? Is the shape an issue? Just trying to hone in my style sense.

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're loafers, which alone makes them inappropriate. They are widely considered ugly due to the stitching toward the toe, which creates a cut-out called a bicycle toe. Also due to the finish - unpolished, low-quality leather.

Last edited:

Nikias

Reaction score
For the shoes you want ideally something like this or this or this . There is a bit of variance in price and quality there, but all are good shoes and you get the general idea. Those slip-ons you have are not an uncommon sight here in the City, but I would say even the average person would think the shoes I've listed looked better on you, even if they could not exactly place their finger on what it was.

Note the classic shape of the toe, the lack of broguing, the matt 'calf leather' rather than corrected grain or 'hi-shine', and the 'closed' lacing. Compare those to this shoe: with its 'open' lacing, 'hi-shine' leather and slightly ugly toe shape (IMO). Broguing is not a bad thing at all, but is a bit more casual. For a first pair of quality shoes, a very classic shoe without broguing also means that people can't tell even if you wear it every day of the week (not good for the shoe's lifespan, but that's another story...) As to your second question, I would also like to echo the advice above about navy or dark grey for a suit. There are millions of threads on interview suits if you do a search and more information than I can possibly convey here.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1, the quintessential dress shoe is a black oxford with closed lacing (balmoral style) either plain or cap toe. The Allen Edmonds Park Avenue is a good example. The Park Avenue is available at Nordstrom along with a variety of shoes in similar style. No loafers of any kind, sorry.

The quintessential suit is navy although charcoal gray will do also. Keep it a solid color, no stripes or pattern. Wear a white dress shirt with a point collar (no buttons on the collar) and a dark tie that does not match your suit (not black). Make sure the suit is properly tailored. Add a simple white pocket square in linen or cotton, peaked or TV fold.

If you go into a men's clothing store (like Brooks Brothers not a department store), the staff should be able to give you specific advice.

Good luck.

jonnieFox

Reaction score
I'm seeing far more derbys than oxfords in stores for some reason, but I the oxfords do seem to be more dressy.

Do you think brown would be ok with the navy suit for the interview, or go for safe black?

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore a dark gray 3 roll 2, suit, white spread collar shirt with French cuffs, usually a brown tie, and brown half brogues. It's amazing I ever got in.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
what city are you in?

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it matters that much when interviewing for med school, as long as it looks professional. They will focus mostly on your prior training and experiences.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interview outfit for the no brainer:

Navy / Grey / Charcoal Grey suit, any style
White Shirts, non slim collar, any cuffs
Plain colour tie
White Cotton PS, straight fold
Plain socks
Black or dark Brown shoes, lace preferred

Optional:
Plain colour braces if you trouser has no belt loops, fish tail, no clip ons

Good luck in your medical school interview, I worn the above to law firm / chambers interview, serves me well and got my placement from both places

ajmanouk

Reaction score

Interview outfit for the no brainer:
Navy / Grey / Charcoal Grey suit, any style
White Shirts, non slim collar, any cuffs
Plain colour tie
White Cotton PS, straight fold
Plain socks
Black or dark Brown shoes, lace preferred
Optional:
Plain colour braces if you trouser has no belt loops, fish tail, no clip ons
Good luck in your medical school interview, I worn the above to law firm / chambers interview, serves me well and got my placement from both places

Sorry but I have to disagree. Interview outfit for the no brainer is charcoal/navy suit, white shirt, conservative tie, black shoes.

No brown shoes, no pocket square, and no socks! Okay, kidding.Socks are needed, but seriously, no PS.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't SF great, OP? Just don't wear the loafers to your interview. Good luck...

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still think it isn't a huge deal what you wear as long as it looks professional, but I agree with ajmanouk:

Navy/Charcoal suit, single breasted, 2-button, notch lapel
White shirt, barrel cuff
Solid or subtle stripe tie
Black lace-up shoes, preferably plain captoes
Solid dark socks

No pocket square
No jewelry except for watch

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads