Shoes and cold states (Michigan, Alaska, Canada and so on)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by the_sulks, Oct 28, 2012.

1. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

In and out of a vehicle or for a short walk I wear a derby boot with Ridgeway sole irrespective of temperature if I am wearing a suit or odd jacket.

2. benjclark

benjclark Well-Known Member

When it gets very cold, safety becomes much more important. When it hits that -40 and lower, it's time to bust out the military surplus bunny boots they issue to guys pulling duty in the arctic. I found mine NOS still wrapped up USMC from 1950.

3. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Definitely if it becomes uncomfortable, I wouldn't recommend it, but I've always managed to get by with my Redwings and thick socks on 5 degrees F (-15 C) days.

4. the_sulks

the_sulks Senior member

Out of the vehicle. Trudging long distances.

5. the_sulks

the_sulks Senior member

Right now what I'm trying to do is to buy some burgundy or oxblood warm shoes with the fur inside for cold weather. The task seems to be impossible as I see only black or brown colors around.

6. House

House Well-Known Member

When it's that cold you wear valenki. Buy some galoshi to wear over them if it's a wet cold or dirty in the city.

7. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

For below zero conditions where I am trudging through snow I wear a form of valenki though more structured. A filzstiefel or felt boot. Goodyear storm welted, Vibram sole, leather boot with wool felt shaft. Can also get them shearling lined. Good to about -30 Celsius. You can extend the comfort range by using different types or combinations of wool felt or shearling insoles. I wear Diemme but there are many makers that do them including Ludwig Reiter.

Fritzl says traditional winter boot for Austrians is a black scotch grain Norweger on Vibram with or without shearling lining.

I think Edward Green does a shearling lined Galway. Can't remember if it is on a Ridgeway or Dainite. Also can't remember if it is RTW or MTO. Good combination of form and function but you would not wear them inside.

Beyond -30 I wear a Steiger mukluk which has the wool felt liner like a Sorel boot but is far lighter. You can go up in size and width to add additional liners and felt and/or shearling insoles. This boot will serve you well if you are outside all day in frigid temperatures or walking to the arctic circle. Not so good for wearing around town with your suit.

At some point, style does go out the window when it is extremely cold.

8. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

This. This X 1000.

9. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

As was mentioned, the main offenders in winter time are the snow itself, as well as the salt and sludge crap that builds up as the roads are salted and sanded.

I used to keep my shoes at work and wear boots for the trip, but have since taken to wearing rubber overshoes for any excursions outdoors.

10. JCPhoto

JCPhoto Well-Known Member

This has been what I've done in recent years, got a pair of the LL.Bean Khatadin Iron workers, give them a good wipe down and apply some Obenaufs Heavy Duty LP at the start and once in the middle of the season when they get really salty and a little beat up. Change into my nice shoes once I get to the office. They're on their fourth year and still going strong, with warm socks they're fine to -20 C or so for reasonable periods of time outside, but if it's colder or you're out all day long you'll want something with a liner. Like others have said the real kicker is the salt.

11. dbhdnhdbh

dbhdnhdbh Senior member

Any boots warm enough to protect your feet from meaningful exposure to that kind of cold will be far to warm to wear indoors. So you will have to change into conventional shoes once you get inside. That being the case, avoid frostbite and get boots made for severe cold. These will be big, insulated, but not necessarily heavy. Waterproof bottoms are a good idea in case the cold is accompanied by slush or freezing rain. In cold areas no one expects people to trudge through snow and salty slush in dress shoes.

12. the_sulks

the_sulks Senior member

Very interesting. Don't you have to wash your outdoors shoes every day to wipe the dirt away. I have to wipe my shoes down every day (especially if it is slushy outside).

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012

13. House

House Well-Known Member

14. House

House Well-Known Member

15. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

I no longer live in a cold climate. But I grew up in suburban Chicago - so I know from cold, slush and salt.

Those zip up overshoes make complete sense to me. Those silly 'swims' that everyone around here seems to love might be good for a drizzle - but for 'normal' winter conditions including salt and grimy slush they are useless.

Rubber zip up overshoes are great - good protection - easy on and off - stretchy rubber fits over all sorts of shoe shapes. No insulation is about the only drawback. I used to pull heavy wool socks OVER my dress shoes before putting on boots - protected the shoes from scuffing and provided extra insulation.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012