• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoemaking Techniques and Traditions--"...these foolish things..."

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Goodyear welt gemming typically sits 1/4 inch inside the edge of the insole, so the seam will sit deeper underneath the upper. When handwelting you can choose where you cut the holdfast, you could even come out the edge of the insole and welt to that for the minimum gap possible.

Many lasts are curved under at the extreme forepart of the toe, just above the featherline. Some makers call that a 'snake head' toe.

If the last is made (or modified) to eliminate that undercut, then cutting the insole to follow the lines of the toe helps. You can't really cut it perpendicular to the plantar surface of the last.

It's hard to describe this whole process---that's why I said you would almost have to be a shoemaker to understand.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Many lasts are curved under at the extreme forepart of the toe, just above the featherline. Some makers call that a 'snake head' toe.

If the last is made (or modified) to eliminate that undercut, then cutting the insole to follow the lines of the toe helps. You can't really cut it perpendicular to the plantar surface of the last.

It's hard to describe this whole process---that's why I said you would almost have to be a shoemaker to understand.
Searching "snake head toe" yields much more ridiculous examples that what you are likely describing.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Searching "snake head toe" yields much more ridiculous examples that what you are likely describing.
Well, what can I say? Shoemakers...Sheesh!! :crackup:

I, myself, wouldn't necessarily call a last (remember it's the last not the shoe I was describing) shaped like that a 'snakehead' unless I was trying to illustrate a point to a student. But I have heard such lasts referred to in that way.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In a shoe factory the insoles get cut by dies (think cookie cutters) and hydraulic presses. Every last in every size and width has a corresponding insole die which will cut out the right size to fit the particular last. Due to the nature of cutter and press, all cuts will be perpendicular and will fit the last without individual corrections.

In a handmade shoe the insole, mellow (damp) and still oversized gets fixed to the last. Once dry the insole, still fixed to the last, gets cut manually. Here the shoemaker is not restricted to perpendicular only. He can follow the sweep of a particular section within the last, shaping the insole accordingly. The insole will be cut individually and can can be perpendicular in certain sections but flowing out or moving in in other sections.

tallyho

Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but someone can shed some light on this stamp? I've never seen them before. I'm about to pick up this one from a local leather shop with a shell cordovan tag. Thank you very much!
1642583887939.png
shell.png

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It'll be from a Japanese source - I thought Shinki Hikaku had a green label so maybe this is by someone else - possibly Leder Ogawa?

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but someone can shed some light on this stamp? I've never seen them before. I'm about to pick up this one from a local leather shop with a shell cordovan tag. Thank you very much!
View attachment 1739591 View attachment 1739592
It is Japanese. It is from the Japanese associate of leather measurers. The blue number is the place where the leather was measured. and the black number is the number of square centimeters.

Bic

tallyho

Reaction score
It'll be from a Japanese source - I thought Shinki Hikaku had a green label so maybe this is by someone else - possibly Leder Ogawa?
Yeah, shinki changed their stamp to the orange, though. Btw, the last time I saw the ogawa, they used ink stamp.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220119-230444_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220119-230444_Gallery.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Screenshot_20220119-230520_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220119-230520_Gallery.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

tallyho

Reaction score
It is Japanese. It is from the Japanese associate of leather measurers. The blue number is the place where the leather was measured. and the black number is the number of square centimeters.

Bic
Thanks! Though, it's not square centimeters but square decimeters, i think???

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought some boots with an unlined shaft where unfortunately the shaft is too wide for my legs.
I am wondering if there are ways to adjust the shaft width on a finished boot.

Because they are unlined the backseam of the shaft can easily be accessed and removed to have the shaft taken in a bit is my idea. My cobbler tells me that he indeed can do it but that in order to blind stitch the backseam of the shaft the leather has to lie flat which cannot be done withouth deconstructing the entire boot.
He can make this adjustment with a more visible stitch though he tells me.

Do any of you have any experience with this type of adjustment or have some advice on how to adjust the shaft width on a boot (without using tongue pads)?

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought some boots with an unlined shaft where unfortunately the shaft is too wide for my legs.
I am wondering if there are ways to adjust the shaft width on a finished boot.

Because they are unlined the backseam of the shaft can easily be accessed and removed to have the shaft taken in a bit is my idea. My cobbler tells me that he indeed can do it but that in order to blind stitch the backseam of the shaft the leather has to lie flat which cannot be done withouth deconstructing the entire boot.
He can make this adjustment with a more visible stitch though he tells me.

Do any of you have any experience with this type of adjustment or have some advice on how to adjust the shaft width on a boot (without using tongue pads)?

If you adjust the backseam the whole pattern will become unbalanced, so for you not to sort of lean your leg forward but stand straight you will pull the quarters backward with strain and creases likely occuring. So even if one could take in the backseam technically (which could be done with some types of sewing machine, some cobblers and leather repair workshops has them but not all, or potentially by hand depending on skill of the cobbler and type of boot) likely not recommended to do it, will be uncomfortable and look bad.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does Spigola finish their soles in such a pale leather color? If it's burnished, waxed, and sealed properly, it should be much darker, no?

tumblr_mnbekdPd8P1qhxld1o1_1280.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads