• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoemaking Techniques and Traditions--"...these foolish things..."

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see different methods of attaching rubber outsoles to midsoles in GYW shoes: Mostly they are glued to the midsole and then the midsole end rubber outsole are both stitched to the welt. I also see some makers where the rubber outsole is just glued to the midsole, in this case just the midsole is stitched to the welt.

Which is the better/most durable method? When a resole of the outsole is needed, is it always needed to also replace the midsole because the cork need to be replaced also? Or will just replacing the outsole be sufficient?

I can imagine that if the latter is the case, glueing a rubber outsole to a GYW midsole is the most durable because you only have to replace the glued outsole when it's worn without having to rewelt te entire shoe.

Would like to hear your thoughts

1634853009359.png

1634853031987.png

Last edited:

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
I see different methods of attaching rubber outsoles to midsoles in GYW shoes: Mostly they are glued to the midsole and then the midsole end rubber outsole are both stitched to the welt. I also see some makers where the rubber outsole is just glued to the midsole, in this case just the midsole is stitched to the welt.

Which is the better/most durable method? When a resole of the outsole is needed, is it always needed to also replace the midsole because the cork need to be replaced also? Or will just replacing the outsole be sufficient?

I can imagine that if the latter is the case, glueing a rubber outsole to a GYW midsole is the most durable because you only have to replace the glued outsole when it's worn without having to rewelt te entire shoe.

Would like to hear your thoughts

View attachment 1689899

View attachment 1689902
There's also the case where only the toe is stitched (Vass). In my view, the stitching helps with areas such as the toe that are likely to get bumped which might cause the rubber to separate.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know what purpose would be achieved by stitching a midsole and outsole to the welt. At that point the midsole is superfluous. Maybe for show or expectation.

If the midsole and rubber outsole are prepared correctly (cleaned and primed) cementing a rubber outsole to a midsole that has been stitched to the welt is sufficient. A lot of work shoe/boots are done this way. And as you said it makes resoing a little easier.

All that said, GYW is not a Traditional technique. xD

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know what purpose would be achieved by stitching a midsole and outsole to the welt. At that point the midsole is superfluous. Maybe for show or expectation.

If the midsole and rubber outsole are prepared correctly (cleaned and primed) cementing a rubber outsole to a midsole that has been stitched to the welt is sufficient. A lot of work shoe/boots are done this way. And as you said it makes resoing a little easier.

All that said, GYW is not a Traditional technique. xD

I can't believe I just saw a 70 year old retired boot maker use an anime emoticon.

That's very xD

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can't believe I just saw a 70 year old retired boot maker use an anime emoticon.

That's very xD
75-1/2...and I play Kingdom Come: Deliverance. It is used pretty often over on the Steam forum. I did not know it was anime.

Last edited:

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's also the case where only the toe is stitched (Vass). In my view, the stitching helps with areas such as the toe that are likely to get bumped which might cause the rubber to separate.
That's interesting. Is the midsole fully stitched and the toe of the (rubber) outsole stitched again then? So basically double stitched at the toes?

Nebbiolo

Reaction score
I have a question regarding shoes like these where the toe sinks directly into the sole, with almost no gap between upper and welt. Is that only achievable with handwelting?

Attachments

• 509a4c37acba5bfc32eb3ad2d17c7994.jpg
    509a4c37acba5bfc32eb3ad2d17c7994.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 115

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a question regarding shoes like these where the toe sinks directly into the sole, with almost no gap between upper and welt. Is that only achievable with handwelting?

"Almost" is the operative word. Whether it is Goodyear or handwelted there will always be some "gap" under the toe. (You would almost have to be a shoemaker to understand why.)

But if the last is shaped correctly and the insole prepared correctly, I believe the gap can be better mitigated with a handwelted shoe than a GYWshoe.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The type of welting is one thing, but then other steps also matter. If you shape the insole by hand, last by hand, welt by hand and hammer by hand all these parts give you a better way to achieve a tight gap (as DWF says, always some, but tight). If you do one or a couple of these you can get closer to it, but when as most factory made shoes you don't do any of it the gap will be much larger.

Nebbiolo

Reaction score
"Almost" is the operative word. Whether it is Goodyear or handwelted there will always be some "gap" under the toe. (You would almost have to be a shoemaker to understand why.)

But if the last is shaped correctly and the insole prepared correctly, I believe the gap can be better mitigated with a handwelted shoe than a GYWshoe.
What exactly goes into it, besides the last and insoles being shaped correctly?

rab

Reaction score
Where the awl comes out in relation to the feather line can influence what the transition between upper and welt look like.

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Goodyear welt gemming typically sits 1/4 inch inside the edge of the insole, so the seam will sit deeper underneath the upper. When handwelting you can choose where you cut the holdfast, you could even come out the edge of the insole and welt to that for the minimum gap possible.

There’s reasons you might choose a further in or further out holdfast, the further out you go then the less welt leather you have to stitch to (at least if you want to cut the welt close, which is typically preferred for formal shoes)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads