• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoemaking Techniques and Traditions--"...these foolish things..."

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here is an illustration of the technique that is/was used ffor thin insoles. "Do the name 'split and lift' (sic) strike a familyah note?"

inseam_6iron.png

Last edited:

PhilJB

Reaction score
Thanks, DW. That's much clearer. The picture is much appreciated.

I was aware that the illustration I reproduced was for vamps, but I'm pretty new to the world of hand made shoes and not familiar with all the terms and techniques. It was the best I could find on the internet.

Are there any practical examples of this split and lift in-seaming technique? I've searched the internet (including the HCC) but have not found any reference to split and lift outside of uppers (except of course in "split lift").

Just to add that I've learnt so much from this thread. My interest, though recent, is of a practical nature driven by an exacerbation of what I can buy in the shops. The best practices of DW and the other highly skilled shoe makers who contribute herein and the standards of excellence they achieve provide both inspiration and a standard to aspire to.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You're welcome. But just to be clear, it's not really "split and lift inseaming". It's just inseaming. I suspect (wasn't trained in that technique) that every time someone does a Norvegese(?) stitch--you know the macrame stitch--on the side of a shoe, the insole has been prepared without a feather. So fundamentally the same thing.

PhilJB

Reaction score
One more follow up question on the 6 iron insole... I wondered what type of shoes have such a thin insole?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One more follow up question on the 6 iron insole... I wondered what type of shoes have such a thin insole?

I don't know anyone who is handwelting 6 iron insoles at this time (not to say there isn't). That said, I have handwelted at that substance, or close to it, and channel stitched 6 iron insoles for women's shoes. .

But my friend DA Saguto from Colonial Williamsburg (and one of the foremost shoe historians in the world) told me about the technique...so I suspect it was common in the 18th and 19th the centuries.

I also suspect that more than a few commercial shoes, esp. women's shoes, are using 6 iron or even thinner but none of those would be handwelted and a good many of those might not even be leather.

willyto

Reaction score
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHICH BRAND STILL MAKING SHOE BY USING WOOD PEG?
I don't know of any maker doing a full pegged sole construction.

Saint Crispin's, Passus, Cowboy Boot makers and I guess some others use pegs for the waist. Vass Budapest also uses them for the heels and to attach the piece that covesr the shank.

the best leg

Reaction score
I don't know of any maker doing a full pegged sole construction.

Saint Crispin's, Passus, Cowboy Boot makers and I guess some others use pegs for the waist. Vass Budapest also uses them for the heels and to attach the piece that covesr the shank.
Half wood peg will also be great, but I am not expect a cowboy boots, so would like to provide more brand please,thank you

Sinbios

Reaction score
Is there any benefit to wooden peg construction? Seems harder to resole?

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I googled Wieselman , but I didn't get any information, so would u like to provide more information on Wieselman please, thank you.

Here’s the website. A quite young Vienna-based maker, maybe 5 years old or so.

It’s cheaper than welted shoes and looks nice, but guess that’s about it. It’s an old traditional method to make solid but cheaper shoes (couldn’t only cement shoes since the cement wasn’t strong enough those days), was common among many of the combined cobblers/shoemakers that were found in every small village and in huge numbers in every town around the world back in the days and who made shoes for all the local folks.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To my knowledge, the only firm to offer wood-pegged ready-to-wear shoes is the Austrian Handmacher:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It’s cheaper than welted shoes and looks nice, but guess that’s about it. It’s an old traditional method to make solid but cheaper shoes (couldn’t only cement shoes since the cement wasn’t strong enough those days), was common among many of the combined cobblers/shoemakers that were found in every small village and in huge numbers in every town around the world back in the days and who made shoes for all the local folks.

My whole career (50 years+) has been intimately associated with pegging. I may have driven more pegs in my time than any shoemaker posting here. You might expect that I would be particularly defensive about pegged sole construction, but I'm not...I prefer objectivity whereever I can find it. .

Pegged outsoles are, as mentioned, faster and cheaper to do than welting a shoe or boot. But they create their own their own unique set of problems and ultimately their own destruction--each resole...and fewer and fewer cobblers really know how to properly peg these days... makes more holes (on top of old holes) in the insole. It's like perforating a sheet of paper in the same spot over and over again. After two or three resoles the insole and lasting margins of the upper are so chewed up the job depends more on the cement than on the pegs. I suspect four resoles is about the limit before it all crumbles into tidbits and detritus.

All that said, pegs and nails go back a long time, probably before the common era. Somewhere among my books is a reference to Egyptian makers pegging sandals circa 15th century BC.

About the best you can say for pegs, besides being fast and cheap, is that they're better than nails. Most nails used in shoemaking are iron or steel. And iron rusts when it comes into contact with the salt water and heat of perspiration. Rust is a slow fire and in heavy use, iron nails can actually turn an insole black and brittle. The leather is, to all appearances, burnt--it can literally be carbonized.

Where pegs are not disturbed much in the lifetime of a shoe, such as in the heel seat and heel stack, pegging...as opposed to nailing...can extend the potential life of the shoe with no down side except for the extra preparation and time and work involved.

Last edited:

willyto

Reaction score
I own a pair of wooden pegged sole shoes and they squeak like crazy. Not sure if it's just my pair but it is very annoying and I don't wear them for that very reason but they are nice to look at.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads