• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoemakers, take note: US14 more common than either 13 or 10!

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The study, done by respected scientists at respected institutions, shows what it shows. It's doesn't claim to be a cross section of the entire population. The size or the sample is in the graph for all to see. To dispute what it shows is laughable. In addition to not understanding this, you have no manners – pretty funny on a board about gentleman style. Maybe you should look for an anger management board instead of one about how to dress like a gentleman.

then maybe work on how you interpret that data as your conclusion simply isn’t warranted. If you consider a reaction like this to point to a need for anger management…dear lord.

Monsieur de Givenchy

Reaction score
you further write "By this study, economically, they would do better eliminating sizes 10 or 13 than size 14." Aren't you clearly implying by these statements that you think this should apply to the general population?
I'd say you're the stubborn one, my friend. Of course, you are free to assume whatever you feel I'm implying. But even in what you quote of me, I'm clearly *saying* "By this study, the would do better", a study which I clearly say that it is of Australians age 60+, and where my graph clearly shows that the sample size is . I don't know how much more clearly one can show that this is not the "general population".

But it can't be irrelevant that a group of a few hundred 60+ Australians that a major university and Nike consider a relevant sample clearly show a need for size 14 shoes.

Why are you fighting this?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You do like to pontificate, don't you? Why don't you read a little more carefully before complaining about what you think you read. What I said was: the big brands do NOT cut themselves off from this important markets, so smaller brands should perhaps take note and also offer these sizes.

As for the idea that older people no longer need formal footwear – that I think is just strange. I don't know what kind of people you associate with, but I haven't found retirees who liked the good shoemakers suddenly switch to Rockport and Cole Haan simply because the nice shoes are no longer needed for a promotion.

it won’t be the first time.

Who are the smaller brands?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But it can't be irrelevant that a group of a few hundred 60+ Australians that a major university and Nike consider a relevant sample clearly show a need for size 14 shoes.

Why are you fighting this?

because you're factually wrong about at least a couple of points in that one sentence and don't seem to know how to interpret the study in that you are making sensationalist statements (see title thread) that aren't properly supported by the actual data.

Factually wrong:
1. Not funded or supported by Nike. One of the authors currently works for Nike but the study itself was not supported by Nike and she apparently was not working for Nike when the study was performed.
2. Only 158 men in the study, not a "few hundred". The results from the women are irrelevant with regards to the size distribution of men.

It took me 5 minutes to find a study of foot measurement data from 547,969 men from 3 continents. Why are you so determined to defend a study of 158 older men from Australia that you had nothing to do with?

Last edited:

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
I also 14 (47-48). You very right. Big Tall Store make much money with them. Because is very commons.

Welcome to Styleforum.

How interesting that your first post is in a rather peculiar thread about largely sized feet, and that you - by happen-chance - have to have the exact size OP is using as an argument!

Well, I'll be damned! If I would guess the percentage of this happening, like the Monsieur reads his academic papers, I would say that this is higly likely to happen on any given day!

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
Glad you like my post. My first replys!

Geld you like my post! Is my first replay!

41900A29-9D9B-4E34-A22B-B7A8EAB68F6B.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics