• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe versatility

mrscrouge

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a good pair of dress shoes that will last me a long time. I'm wondering if there are any type of dress shoes (in black preferably ) that are versatile enough to be worn with a sportscoat/blazer and jeans/khakis as well as a suit every once in a while. Is the gap between a suit and jeans and a blazer too big to be covered by the same shoes?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrscrouge
Is the gap between a suit and jeans and a blazer too big to be covered by the same shoes?

Yes. Do a search.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know about the rest of the fellas, I would wear a pair of brown suede cap oxfords in a sleek last with just about anything.
item1-33.jpeg
delicious.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Don't know about the rest of the fellas, I would wear a pair of brown suede cap oxfords in a sleek last with just about anything.

+1. Very versatile shoe.

andrew96

Reaction score
Get a good pair of Oxford or Loafers in black, traditional, no metal, no tassels, etc. You'll do fine.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the cheaper shoes, Allen Edmonds Weybridge in Chili is good enough for both situations you've described.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
From the cheaper shoes, Allen Edmonds Weybridge in Chili is good enough for both situations you've described.
Toe medallion with jeans?? I'd say jeans call for some kind of sneaker or chukka or loafer. Oxfords are too formal

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
Toe medallion with jeans??

Absolutely, I do it and it looks fine. But then again, I seldom wear jeans anyway...

andrew96

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
Toe medallion with jeans??

I'd say jeans call for some kind of sneaker or chukka or loafer. Oxfords are too formal

Depends on the Oxford.

retozimmermann

Reaction score
A shade of brown or even a red-brown-tone will be much more versatile than black.

I know black is the default colour for many people but actually black in shoes is not that easy to combine with other colours. You cannot wear it well with jeans, nor with khakis or other lighter colours (apart from grays) , and even a navy business suit looks better with brown shoes than black ones.

retozimmermann

Reaction score
What would be a very versatile shoe is a good brown, maybe antique brown wingtip Derby, something like the GG Woburn:

woburn.jpg

I also like the C&J suede suggested above but I think suede looses a bit on the more formal side of your spectrum. But it's definitely a very nice and good shoe! In general I'd say that C&J are worth considering.

Good luck
Reto

Izhitsa

Reaction score
A shoemaker argues here that the brown full-brogue is pretty much universal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads