• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Valets....my experience with Herring Shoes

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I did quite a bit of search for an elegant way to store my shoe care products. Many products were cheesy or flimsy (kiwi), too rustic (woodlore), or too small (churchs, saphir, etc). The running came down to cheaney which is comprehensive, large, but pricey, and Herring, which was priced better, and also came well equipped.

In the end, I went with Herring.

Item ordered sunday...arrived today (delivery attempted yesterday). Total price was GBP103 or $150ish delivered. If you enter code HSAB, you get a free pair of full toe cedar shoe trees. Pricey, but not out of line for quality products. Includes box, 2 brushes, 2 applicators/small brushes, a welt brush, dust rag, small shoe horn, 6 wax polishes, a cream for oiled leather (????) and some suede spray.

The quality of the box and hardware is exquisite. I've been happy with the polishes too that I have from prior shoe purchases. No experience yet with the brushes, but it all looks good. Only the shoe horn has some pits, but really, its a shoe horn so who cares.

Overall, I'm quite pleased. I expected quality and I got it.

what you get

free trees with code

how it fits...added brush and polishes

in the shoe care drawer

I only wish it were a bit bigger. As for the foot rest, I typically polish shoes off my feet while in trees, so i saw no use for that.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking nice. I am using a wooden box for whiskey (Yamasaki) to store my shoe wax ATM and everything else jus scatters around a garage shelf.

Looked at the LCA big box but its pricy and contains many duplicated items that u already owned.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah its tough to find a nice large box. Obviously there is never enough space. that said, i though the herring option offered good value, especially with the trees (which list for gbp35 a pair).

Balfour

Reaction score
Looks very nice, but shame they had to plaster their logo over it.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i agree, i could do without the logo, but such is life.

Balfour

Reaction score
Of course, I keep my shoe kit in a tatty canvas bag so could certainly live with the logo. But am generally anti-logo.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this was a big step up from my previous kitchen cabinet, so i hear you on that.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wanted to update this thread after a bit of use.

Very pleased with the brushes. They are smaller so they fit nicely into the palm of your hand. I still use my AE and kiwi brushes as well, but these are nice go tos, especially in tight areas.

Also, after opening the mid brown polish, I found that some of the polish had melted or evaporated. I dropped a note to herring and they responded quickly to let me know they would be sending a new tin at no charge. This folks, is how customer service is done. The current tin is likely useable and just fine, but they wanted to assure a satisfied customer. Very impressed with Herring!

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noice Quad! Enjoy. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads