Shoe trees

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Texmo, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Texmo

Texmo Active Member

Yeah this is unfortunate.

2. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

I have them in all my shoes, as I presume most of the users do here also.

The issue with wood vs. other materials is interesting. There are a few ways of looking at it. Wood doesn't absorb moisture and make it disappear. If anything, unfinished wood trees will make the shoes take longer to fully dry out. Think about it, where does the moisture go? Edward Green and John Lobb (two of the best shoe makers out there) sell their lasted shoe trees in finished wood. C&G shoe trees are also made with finished wood.

So, why use wood shoe trees? Wood shoe trees are good because of their weight and usually are made better than their plastic counterparts. Cedar wood smells good when unfinished. It's also cheaper not to finish the wood.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

3. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Mate I am a poor man. But have friends & families who have decent income(wears shoes $300-$700 range) . They trash their shoes in few month. Believe me I take more care of my $150 sneakers !
    I think if you wear cloths that’s truly reflects your income you wouldn’t care much. But people like me all my clothes and shoes are purchased on 50%-70% off sale which i couldn’t afford at the first place if not on sale. Thus I tend to take care of them so they last longer. Where as people with real money they don’t care for them its just a pair of shoes.
    I think its not all about money either. Its about how much you love your cloths and shoes. And if you have enough time to take proper care.
    ****SF forum members may hate me. But this is my point. ****

4. 7AD

7AD Active Member

I use them Always.

5. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

I'd love to see photos. Go to: imageshack.com and upload the photo there. Once you upload it'll show links for a forum. Copy and paste here.

What brand of shoes came with shoe trees that cracked the shoes?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011

6. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

You load directly from your computer into a post now. No need to go through image shack anymore. Click on the picture icon next to teh paper clip.

7. Dinosarti

Dinosarti Senior member

Shoe trees are a must have for every pair I own except sneakers and sandals.

Also, FYI - Alden's website recommends letting the shoes "cool down" after wear before inserting the trees. When warm and damp, trees may stretch the shoes....:embar:

8. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Dead wrong. Your wood shoe trees must be made of plastic.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

9. Dinosarti

Dinosarti Senior member

Really? Why does every high end maker offer a wooden tree with they name on it?

10. jk2317

jk2317 Well-Known Member

He said "Inverness." And lasted trees. That's Edward Green.

OH NO I HOPE IT'S OK TO MENTION MANUFACTURER NAMES ON SF!!!! PLEASE DON'T BAN ME

11. MyOtherLife

Ever hear the story about the monkeys? Or perhaps The Emperors New Clothes? OK, nevermind..
    Once upon a time some shoe maker made shoes for a king or some other nobility figure, and to top it off, made lasted trees for the shoes, and to top it off, forgot the basic principles and attributes of wood; that being it is a pourous material, and decided to lacquer those trees to make 'em extra nice for the lofty king, who himself knew no better. If the king was happy, who was going to argue or correct his a$$holiness, right? So competitors also began practicing this madness, and in the process, betrayed the woods natural ability to absorb moisture.
    Repeated long enough by enough high-brow manufacturers, it became tradition and tradition is an awful thing to break and stop once started.
    Or maybe the maufacturers knew too well that a lacquered tree would trap moisture in the shoes and rot them out so the un-suspecting customer would return to buy more nice shoes.
    I challenge anyone here to take 2 pair of shoe trees; 1 lacquered and 1 unfinished. Pour water over each. See what happens for yourself. One will repel water and the other will absorb water.

12. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

I disagree with your assertions. How does wood dissipate moisture? Is there some kind of void in wood that makes it go away?

The moisture gets sucked up into the wood. Then the wood dries out. Where does the moisture go to dry it out? It goes back into the shoes.

No way am I pouring water over my nice shoes!

13. Jay Gatsby

Jay Gatsby Senior member

Cedar is the way to go if at all possible. I've not heard of an alternative wood that is as aromatic and long-lasting. Sand paper the trees once in awhile and they will smell good forever.

Oh by the way you could have found this out by using the search function.

14. MyOtherLife

I said pour water on 2 pairs of shoe trees, not the shoes themselves. Anyway, believe as you wish.

15. Dinosarti

Dinosarti Senior member

A charming tale. I give.

I hear you on the coated wood. I have bare cedar in all of mine. My only thought is that I let the shoes air dry over night before I insert the tree. It is my "tradition" and yes, it is hard to break...:D