• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Trees

rajesh06

Reaction score
Per the C&J 337 thread - I just bought my first pair of C&Js.

Do you think the $100 waxed shoe trees from C&J are worth it - relative to the $25 split toe Woodlores that I would get otherwise?

sysdoc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rajesh06
Per the C&J 337 thread - I just bought my first pair of C&Js. Do you think the $100 waxed shoe trees from C&J are worth it - relative to the $25 split toe Woodlores that I would get otherwise?
I know the C&J shoetrees from the C&J outlet in Northampton. They are sold for a whopping £50. These trees are indeed varnished. They look almost the same as the trees from EG or JL, but there's one important difference. EG and JL shoe trees have a special channel that allows the insole to dry openly, while the C&J tree has not got that feature. It's a massive piece of wood instead. The insole has to dry through the outsole. I consider these trees inferior to EG's or JL's offerings. The shape of JL and EG trees is pretty much the same, but only EG shoe trees are unvarnished, which seems to be the most sensible solution. EG shoe trees are £50 as well, though they are the better product. I'd say EG trees are the only ones remotely worth the actual $100. My advice - Go for Woodlore trees and forget the hopelessly overpriced C&J ones. If you really want class A shoe trees you should try to get the EGs.

Dmntd

Reaction score
I thought part of a shoe trees job was to absorb moisture. If that is in fact the case, waxing or otherwise finishing with a sealant would be contraindicative to the health of ones shoes.

Just a thought,

Dmntd

UR003

Reaction score
Same here. I was adviced to only use red cedar trees. Does EG make those? I can't find them either on their website nor in their brochures.

billiebob

Reaction score
Asprey had unvarnished cedar EG lasted shoe trees (202 width E, and the loafer last in E) in New York. They seem to switch between selling them and saying they're not available. You might give them a call and see what they want for them these days, if they are indeed available. They are really, really nice double barrel models with a silver knob and Asprey plaque.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads