• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe trees that aren't wood?

InfamousX

Reaction score
This could be a case of just using a different brand shoe tree. I bought a pair from Macys... the Alfani shoe trees. I haven't been a person to ever use shoe trees but I wanted a pair for some dress loafers (gucci) I have. I like the form they keep but I do not like the pressure that I can feel from the outside of the shoe at certain points. I seem to be thinking that the tree is too hard and will burst through the shoe eventually. That got me thinking about if all the trees are wood. I went to a Hugo Boss store for other reason and just happen to think about it and take the shoe tree out of one of their shoes. Although the handle was wood, the part that went into the shoe was not. Where can I find these? Are they as good as I think? Everything everywhere only seem to be about wooden shoe trees. Thanks.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You should only ever use unfinished wood shoe trees. They will absorb moisture from your feet rather than trap it against the shoe causing rotting. Also buy shoe trees that pull out the creases from the shoes, however are not pulling so hard that it is stretching the shoe.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are properly rotaing your shoes (i.e., not wearing them two days in a row) then plastic shoe trees will be fine. Make sure it fits properly unless you want to stretch the shoes.

InfamousX

Reaction score
My issue with the ones I have is that I felt kind of hard sharp hard points on the sides. The shoes haven't been worn yet at all. Aside from everyday work shoes that I replace every 3 months, I don't wear my good shoes on a daily basis. Less than once a week because I have multiple to choose from. I think I may just need a different shaped shoe tree. Any suggestions? They are for the Gucci dress shoes found in the below thread on the 3rd page.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ighlight=gucci

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by InfamousX
I like the form they keep but I do not like the pressure that I can feel from the outside of the shoe at certain points.

Don't worry about it, leather is not easy to stretch. The only reason to use shoe trees that aren't wood is if you're too cheap to buy cedar.

Ideally you should be using the type of shoe tree which looks like the Woodlore Epic:

epictree.jpg

InfamousX

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Don't worry about it, leather is not easy to stretch. The only reason to use shoe trees that aren't wood is if you're too cheap to buy cedar.

Ideally you should be using the type of shoe tree which looks like the Woodlore Epic:

epictree.jpg

Now those look really good and rounded at all the important points. Can I buy those in store? I am so ridiculously impatient but if I must buy from online then I will.

InfamousX

Reaction score
It's common to use these in casual loafers as well right? I ordered 2 pair from Amazon.

Neb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by InfamousX
My issue with the ones I have is that I felt kind of hard sharp hard points on the sides. The shoes haven't been worn yet at all. Aside from everyday work shoes that I replace every 3 months, I don't wear my good shoes on a daily basis. Less than once a week because I have multiple to choose from. I think I may just need a different shaped shoe tree. Any suggestions? They are for the Gucci dress shoes found in the below thread on the 3rd page.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ighlight=gucci

why are you buying new shoes every 3 months?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wait. Is there something wrong with buying new shoes every three months? There are people here who buy more frequently than that!
wink.gif

InfamousX

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neb
why are you buying new shoes every 3 months?

For an everyday shoe, I just run them to the ground. While my better shoes I take really good care of.... well as far as keeping them clean, the shoe trees should finish the job.... for everyday work dress shoes I really don't care much about. And considering that I don't pay more than $100 for those types, it's not a big deal to replace often just so that I don't ever be walking around with a beat up pair of shoes on. I might meet my future wife one day you know.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You might meet her faster if you're not wearing $100 shoes and just care care of a few nice ones.

For the record though, in the grand scheme of footwear Gucci are not nice shoes.

InfamousX

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
You might meet her faster if you're not wearing $100 shoes and just care care of a few nice ones.

For the record though, in the grand scheme of footwear Gucci are not nice shoes.

It was more of a joke. I'm not concerned about what I'm wearing (unless I look like a total bum, but most times I still don't care) when I see someone and decide to approach them. I have enough confidence in myself. Also, I'm not only referring to Gucci when I say nice shoes. I have others. I buy shoes based on both the style that I like and yes the prestige as well. Although I'm sure the 4-600 I pay for Gucci is overpriced... I'm sure they are better quality than the Alfani Shoes that I have on right now that I paid 50 bucks for at Macys. So all in all I will treat them a whole lot better than others because they are more expensive to replace.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are flaccid.

Ahahahahahahahhahhahahhhahhaa! (cough)

GBer

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads