• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe trees cost / Crockett & Jones

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whilst I would agree that it would be fantastic to have the "lasted" trees for all the shoes you own (or plan to own), I politely beg to differ as to the necessity of the "lasted tree". I have seen the lasted trees and they look similar across most Northhampton produced brands. So, I personally do not believe they are "lasted" to the effect most (manufactures) claim.

As such, I own the Harvard II on the 376 last, the Bradford on the 341 last, and the Chiltern on the 224 last, I have Herring shoe trees in all of them. I have experienced no deformation on any of my shoes. While it can be said they are not closed system stylings (Oxfords), they still feel the same to me and it has been over 3 years.

Moral of the story, if you want to purchase the "lasted" shoe trees and they are a good price...Then go right ahead. If you want to save money and just want something that does the job, just purchase A tree.

croyal

Reaction score
The generic trees do not help the shape of 348 last. The C&J regular shoe trees are snug in 348 last to help preserve shape and minimize permanent creases. I have tried several other brand tress and they don’t keep tension on the vamp. I have several pairs ( Monkton, Tetbury, Hallam, Northcote, Highbury) and they all reset to like new after a night with the C&J regular trees and a smidge of Saphir.

BTW the C&J trees have to be twisted to go in or out of the shoe. A very snug fit for a non-lasted tree. Recommended to keep the plain toe shoes looking almost new.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics