• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

shoe trees (and general care)

davesmith

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
what are the best shoe trees to buy??

also, i generally polish my shoes - cleaning, apply polish, wait.... brush and buff!!
this is for regular leather shoes (i think!) does calf leather need different care??
(maybe i should make a different topic to do with shoe care...)

LanceW

Reaction score
Lasted shoe trees are the best because they are shaped as the last the shoes were made on which will help preserve the shoes shape. These will only be available for high end footware.

Unlasted shoe trees are the norm for everything else. Choose something cedar. Some people prefer a split toe design to help fill the toebox.

Mudhiker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by davesmith
what are the best shoe trees to buy??

also, i generally polish my shoes - cleaning, apply polish, wait.... brush and buff!!
this is for regular leather shoes (i think!) does calf leather need different care??
(maybe i should make a different topic to do with shoe care...)

If you use the search function there are numerous useful threads for both topics.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use fine grit sandpaper to lightly sand the cedar trees each month to freshen them up and increase their effectiveness.

GregoryM

Reaction score
I debated over the same question but ended up going with the generic Nordstrom brand mens cedar shoe trees. Only $20 a pair and they have oil in them which keeps the shoes fresher for longer then dryer cedar trees-though they too eventually dry out and need to be sandpapered

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mudhiker
If you use the search function there are numerous useful threads for both topics.

+1

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 15 3.0%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 88 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 161 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 81 16.1%
  • 31 - 40