• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe tree -- "Washburn" by Rochester or "Ultra" by Woodlore

mg428

Reaction score
The most famous shoe tree manufacturers in the U.S. are Woodlore and Rochester and the former's top model is Ultra and the latter's is Washburn.

They are said to be better from other models with their full contoured heel, along with a brass knob, and especially with their high vamp so as to completely fill the shoe for a precise fit.

I was wondering, if you have both Washburn and Ultra, could you please give feedback as to which one is better, in what respect, et cetera. May be it is all because of being manufactured by different companies but for some reason Washburn by Rochester is much more expensive than Ultra by Woodlore. Does the Washburn justify the price difference?

Thanks.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you are as a massive black hole here, sucking information but never contributing

h4zin

Reaction score
thats a bit harsh, but i suppose its necessary and even helpful for people to get called out.

now im scared im not contributing enough... i should start now.

personally i pick up my shoe trees from nordstrom rack... they are 12.99 and do the job :)
i feel a tad unrefined now... maybe i should pick up some Woodlores myself...

okay, so i didnt contribute much there. can someone else help the poor boy?

mg428

Reaction score
I respect but do not share your opinion.

1) Contribution can be active as well as passive. Some people, especially newbies (you may want to call so) like me, might have been benefiting from the threads I open when they make a search and locate my thread. You cannot know that.

2) May be I am not as much "knowledgeable" as you. Thus not yet ready to actively contribute that much.

3) New members like me, need comments of more experienced users like you. But you are absolutely free to not contribute, even open/read my or similar people's threads for that matter.

schanop

Reaction score
I have both Washburn and Ultra. First for a Washburn, you can get a good deal from Cedarville store, but only from this page; then the price would be quite competitive with an Ultra. You can also get an Ultra at a good price from the same place. Between the two, I like the Ultra' heel better, but the Wahsburn's full toe. For me, a Washburn fits some shoes better, but an Ultra fits most shoes better, so it depends on a fit for each pair whether I would choose a Washburn or an Ultra.

Hope this helps,

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
It does indeed depend on the shoe. My top two recommendations would be the Rochester Washburn (which I've found to be best for oxfords) or the Woodlore EPIC twin-tube (which you can find discounted to $19.99 here: http://www.cedarvillestore.com/shoe_...e_tree566.htm).

Note that the posted sizing chart for the Epic is all off. According to it, I am supposed to be using a size medium, but even a size large (which is what I use) is slightly short for my shoes (but good enough). I use a size large in the Washburn.

I find the Washburns to be best for oxfords, as I noted above, largely due to the solid toe. The Epics have the superior heel, and I find they work best on loafers and derbies. Both are EXCELLENT shoe trees, and if you want to save $10, don't hesitate to buy the Epics.

kngrimm

Reaction score
I dislike brass knobs because it's hard to hold in my hand when I'm polishing my shoes. Woodlore makes a shoe tree that has the same dimensions, but has a curved portion at the heel that is easy to grip.

Look at grapevinehill's website to get an idea... you can find them on ebay for $13... You would be hard pressed to find better, or cheaper.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the woodlore epic twin, I have it in a pair of C & J monks and they fit great and are attractive.

As for asking and not contributing - as a newbie myself, i imagine folks would rather me only contribute when I actually know the answer instead of guessing and filling the forum with crappy abvice.

mg428

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your opinions guys.

I would like to tell something about schanop's comment in regards to this "contribution " test of some people.

As you might have noticed, this SF member has only 20 posts thus far. Yet, he has FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with these 2 particular shoe trees, (probably) unlike people who have been a forum member more than 2 years and have more than 3200 posts.

So when it comes to contribution, you contribute if you know it, especially when you have first hand experience, irrespective of how many posts you have et cetera. (I am not focusing on the post number entirely, that's why I said et cetera)

Another thing is that, sometimes even if you don't have first hand experience, by virtue of the contributions of people, like schanop, who have first hand experience about a certain thing, you can rely on what he says and share what you learned from him in some future threads. Or you can simply make a reference to his comment et cetera.

Anyhow, thank you. I hope this thread will help people in regards to their narrow minded so-called contribution test. If not, they are absolutely free not to contribute, even open/read any thread, as they wish.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This was very informative post for me and touched on lot of the questions I would like to ask - newby or not the guy hit the spot with the question....Tarmac you have been asphalted...

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I like the Washburn

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I prefer the Ultras, but prefer the Epics to both. To me the Washburns aren't worth the premium.

highball

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
Note that the posted sizing chart for the Epic is all off. According to it, I am supposed to be using a size medium, but even a size large (which is what I use) is slightly short for my shoes (but good enough). I use a size large in the Washburn.

Does this mean that if I'm typically somewhere in the 8D/8E/8.5D range depending on brand, I should go with a 'medium' instead of a 'small' in the Epics? Thanks.

mg428

Reaction score
I guess there is a great controversy about the sizing of the Epic shoe trees. This is my correspondence with the Cedarville store: My e-mail was: "I would like to buy the Epic shoe tree but there is a discussion at Ask Andy forums in which some guys complain about the wrong shoe tree sizes they received. You may find the thread below: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=79495 I wear U.S. 10 – 10.5 D shoes. Which size of Epic should I buy? Medium or Large? Thanks" Their reply was as follows: Thank you for shopping at Cedarville Store! The Epic Tree sizing was updated recently to better fit the style. According to the size chart from the manufacturer you would wear a size Medium. Medium fits 9.5E – 10.5E Large fits 11E – 12.5E We appreciate your interest and hope to see your order come though soon. In the event an exchange is needed, we would be happy to accommodate your exchange request. Regards, Customer Care www.CedarvilleStore.com So as far as I understand, what Cedarville store told and recommended to me accordingly contradicts with the experience of JohnnyCrockett. It will be very nice if some people can share their experiences regarding epic shoe trees.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads