• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Tree Brands

Mac

Reaction score
I have a pair of C&J Hallam coming next week, but they're coming without shoe trees. My question is, should I buy C&J shoe trees to match the shoes, or can I buy any brand as long as they're the same size/width?

Thanks in advance.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to buy shoe trees to match the shoe. If you care about having C&J shoe trees in your C&J shoes then fine. How much are the C&J shoe trees? If they are anything over $20 I would say just buy a cedar shoe tree. I buy J&M shoe trees b/c I have a few J&M shoes and lked the fact that they matched, I thought it was kind of cool. But also, a local shoe store sells J&M shoe trees for $15.99 and they retail for about $25-30 elsewhere. In closing, I would not spend over $20 on a C&J, it just so happened to work out for me that mine matched. Also J&M are good shoe trees (they are cedar)!!!!

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mac
So really any cedar shoe tree will do, and it doesn't have to be the same brand. Thanks.

Any other opinions?

Yep cedar is cedar. Like I said, if you want them to match thats a personal thing. There are some great codes on here for a few shoe trees that are great from cedarville.

GBer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
I used to buy shoe trees to match the shoe. If you care about having C&J shoe trees in your C&J shoes then fine. How much are the C&J shoe trees? If they are anything over $20 I would say just buy a cedar shoe tree. I buy J&M shoe trees b/c I have a few J&M shoes and lked the fact that they matched, I thought it was kind of cool. But also, a local shoe store sells J&M shoe trees for $15.99 and they retail for about $25-30 elsewhere. In closing, I would not spend over $20 on a C&J, it just so happened to work out for me that mine matched. Also J&M are good shoe trees (they are cedar)!!!!

Well, new C&J trees anywhere will cost more than $20. Look on Pediwear. There are 2 C&J tree models. One bare wood and another varnished/ stain. I like to use the trees from the same manufacturer. C&J for C&J, JL for JL, EG for EG. You get the idea.

Perhaps you can find used ones on B&S or the Bay for less. Doubt it though.

If you do buy C&J, you definitely spent enough one the shoes that you will want to take care of them with at the least trees. Be it C&J trees or others.

GBer

Reaction score
This page has some good examples of what you can find out there for shoe trees.

http://www.springline.net/shoe-trees.htm

Recommend wood. But plastic is ok for travel. Big weight difference, esp. when flying.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I bought my last pair of AE's I asked for a set of cedar shoe trees. The store owner told me that the only difference between AE's shoe trees and regular shoe trees is the price. I'd imagine the same goes for other name brand shoe trees as well...

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
Yep cedar is cedar.

But there are good and poor grades of cedar, as with any wood.

Some outside this circle would argue "shoe polish is shoe polish".

I can't understand why people who regularly spend $300-$500 on shoes flake on $20 shoe trees.

It's as if you're giving in eternally to the shoe salesman's advice.

Oh, now I get it, nobody actually sees the shoes trees so why waste the money?

Either that, or you have the attention span of a mouse and don't plan on keeping your shoes very long.

thebac

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Unless you're looking at lasted shoe trees, I don't see a good reason to get a pair of shoe trees that have the same manufacturer label as the shoes.

Mac

Reaction score
From the brief look around, I've seen that C&J shoe trees are around £55. I can get a 'top of the range' pair of shoe trees for £20. I'm going to get shoe trees no matter what, and it's not that I want to skimp, I just want to know if there's any real difference or if it is just marketing.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads