• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe tight on top of big toe - will it stretch?

apple3210

Reaction score
Hi guys,

at first i thought my fairly new shoes were a bit tight in width, but turns out they are fine now. The problem now is when my feet swell up, i'm finding that the leather is rubbing against the top of my big toe (the patch of skin before the nail) and has created some skin to peel off.

Will this stretch with time or is there a way to stretch/soften this up? I've only worn this shoe twice but i guess today had more walking activity and thus caused my feet to swell more.

I wore it for a full day of work if that means anything.

Thanks

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

The problem now is when my feet swell up, i'm finding that the leather is rubbing against the top of my big toe (the patch of skin before the nail) and has created some skin to peel off.

Is it possible for you to periodically interrupt your day and lie down on the floor adjacent to a wall, with your behind and the back of your legs running vertically up the wall? That could reduce the swelling in your feet, allowing them to fit within your shoes.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi guys,
at first i thought my fairly new shoes were a bit tight in width, but turns out they are fine now. The problem now is when my feet swell up, i'm finding that the leather is rubbing against the top of my big toe (the patch of skin before the nail) and has created some skin to peel off.
Will this stretch with time or is there a way to stretch/soften this up? I've only worn this shoe twice but i guess today had more walking activity and thus caused my feet to swell more.
I wore it for a full day of work if that means anything.
Thanks

Hi mate, I fell your pain. Nothing more painful than a tight fitting pair of shoes. Unless you can return them you will have to bite the bullet and break them in. For new pair of shoes I usually take them off once I am at work and hide my feet under the table. That seems to help a lot. First few weeks try to wear them only for 3/4 hours .
Your shoes will stretch a bit over time....but a tiny bit 1/2 size at max. I have a pair of shoes with D width and I am a EEE. Its over 1 year now and they are still painfully tight.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope. Not gonna stretch. I had similar story with a pair of whole cuts that I like but rubs against my little toe. Didn't stretch after 4months use. The only relief is when I insert padding around the outside of my feet so it didn't rub but it was a huge hassle so I gave up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads