1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoe suggestions. Miles of walking in North Africa and Europe. 8 months.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Rob4, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Rob4

Rob4 Member

Thanks, All:

I didn't expect problems getting this type of shoe/boot in wide. Peculiar. I should also point out that I really enjoy a shoe that can take a shine. It looks clean and maintained.

I'm also surprised so many here recommend the chukka. Frankly, they've never been on my radar, nor would they if it was not for this thread. I've always had strong ankles, so I've never looked in that direction. I also suspect that I've associate boots with fieldwork and oxfords for urban work. Apparently, this was a mistake.

I do wish there was a store here to go through these options in one siting, rather having to mail order a few at a time.

Wesco has a nice oxford. There are now so many choices, that I'm considering taking a trip to a larger city just to narrow this down. Considering the near unanimous suggestions on chukkas, I am putting a few on my list.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  2. Rob4

Rob4 Member

Tried the Chukkas - its just not working for me. I really like oxfords or boots

I'm going to bring 2 or 3 pairs now. One cap toe black pair. One or two casual pairs.
    I'm looking at
    • DM/Solovair oxfords
    • Baker's/White's oxfords
    • Whites Semi Dress boots

There are a few mentions of the Baker's/White's oxfords on the whites thread, but not enough to clarify if these would be a good choice for many miles of walking.

Likewise, there is conflicting information on the DM shoes. The MIE's are purported to be more narrow. This post is very informative about the made for life shoes, as is this post on leather selection.