• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe style for big feet

pana37

Reaction score
Hello all I found this great forum by accident, I hope i have posted this in the correct thread?

I'm 6ft tall and have big feet sizes from 12UK to 13UK shoe sizes.
Up until now i have been wearing slip on style plain black loafer style shoes to work.

I'm looking for a black pair of shoes for work that fool the eye to look smaller.(difficult i know)

Can someone offer me some advice please.

I still find it difficult to find my size at the high street shops.

Thank you

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
I am size 13.

I have managed to get most of the shoes I want "off the shelf".

Most of the good makers will go to 13.

Where are you?

What's your budget?

Shoes that try to make your feet look small probably won't be comfortable. Go with the big feet look. Girls love them - until they find out the rumour is false...

Last edited:

pana37

Reaction score

I am size 13.

I have managed to get most of the shoes I want "off the shelf".

Most of the good makers will go to 13.

Where are you?

What's your budget?

Shoes that try to make your feet look small probably won't be comfortable. Go with the big feet look. Girls love them - until they find out the rumour is false...

Lol, I work in london. I do want them to be comfortable to wear I currently wear hush puppies.
I feel I need to look at lace up shoes, as the plain loafers make my feet look big.
What makes should I look out for
What style do you have

I currently have square toe shoes, read somewhere that round toe are better? Thinking of brogue style?

Thanks again

Last edited:

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lol, I work in london. I do want them to be comfortable to wear I currently wear hush puppies.
I feel I need to look at lace up shoes, as the plain loafers make my feet look big.
What style do you have

I currently have square toe shoes, read somewhere that round toe are better? Thinking of brogue style?

Thanks again

*Facepalm*

It all depends on your budget. But I'll warn you now, once the style bug bites there's no going back. Women will love it, your wallet.... not so much. It's about trade offs

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
What style do you have

Thanks again

So what is your budget?

You will need at least one pair of brown and one pair of black. Or two blacks if you really don't want brown. Just one pair of black will not do because you have to rotate pairs (i.e. Don't wear the same pair two days in a row).

Shouldn't be too hard to do it. You are in the show capital of the world after all.

Last edited:

pana37

Reaction score

*Facepalm*

It all depends on your budget. But I'll warn you now, once the style bug bites there's no going back. Women will love it, your wallet.... not so much. It's about trade offs

Thanks for the warning

pana37

Reaction score

So what is your budget?

You will need at least one pair of brown and one pair of black. Or two blacks if you really don't want brown. Just one pair of black will not do because you have to rotate pairs (i.e. Don't wear the same pair two days in a row).

Shouldn't be too hard to do it. You are in the show capital of the world after all.

Hi I was thinking around £90-100 not sure what's out there for this price
Always bought off the shelf from normal high street not sure what to expect

Rolex Luthor

Reaction score

I currently have square toe shoes, read somewhere that round toe are better?

Round toe would be better than square toe no matter your shoe size, or even whether you had feet at all. Please burn your current shoes at your earliest convenience.

I wear a US size 12 and I find that while there is no disguising large feet, captoe shoes reduce the effect somewhat more than wholecuts, moctoes, etc. because the captoe line provides a visual break in the vamp. Wear solid neutrals (black, brown, Cordovan) rather than spectators or more fashion-forward colors to avoid drawing undue attention to your foot length. Choose socks to match your trouser color, not your shoe color, so that any glimpse of sock gets visually attached to your leg, not your feet. As Dandy said, don't try to squeeze your feet into a smaller shoe, because that will make you miserable. Well-made, well-fitting and classically styled shoes will complement your feet no matter what the size; ugly shoes will be ugly no matter what the size.

pana37

Reaction score
Round toe would be better than square toe no matter your shoe size, or even whether you had feet at all. Please burn your current shoes at your earliest convenience.

I wear a US size 12 and I find that while there is no disguising large feet, captoe shoes reduce the effect somewhat more than wholecuts, moctoes, etc. because the captoe line provides a visual break in the vamp. Wear solid neutrals (black, brown, Cordovan) rather than spectators or more fashion-forward colors to avoid drawing undue attention to your foot length. Choose socks to match your trouser color, not your shoe color, so that any glimpse of sock gets visually attached to your leg, not your feet. As Dandy said, don't try to squeeze your feet into a smaller shoe, because that will make you miserable. Well-made, well-fitting and classically styled shoes will complement your feet no matter what the size; ugly shoes will be ugly no matter what the size.
Thanks Rolex great advice here i dont particularly like these shoes i have now.. captoe sounds like a plan thanks! can you recommend any makes? will i be able to get something for my budget?

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
Hi I was thinking around £90-100 not sure what's out there for this price
Always bought off the shelf from normal high street not sure what to expect

Mate save up and get yourself a really good pair of shoes that will last you for ages and that you can be proud of.

Don't waste your time with that budget.

pana37

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any makes please?
And how much are you taking about?

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any makes please?
And how much are you taking about?

You can get your size from Edward Green without difficulty:

http://www.mrporter.com/mens/design...rd green|e|c&gclid=COiMx-2948cCFQNvvAodHlQOvQ

You can also get your size in John Lobb:

http://www.mrporter.com/mens/designers/john_lobb?sizeFilter=8589934592

In fact, of Mr Porter there is a huge choice in your (and my) size:

http://www.mrporter.com/en-au/mens/shoes?sizeFilter=8589934592&sizelocality=us&sortBy=price-desc

I have the John Lobb City II that are listed there. They make your foot seem smaller.

If you would prefer to try them on first then at least the site tells you the brands where you could buy off the shelf.

Last edited:

Al Gavigan

Reaction score
You could also try Wide Shoes in Wembley. They have a shop and have plenty of men's shoes in extra extra wide or 6E fitting (if you are going by width fittings). I usually go there for my shoes and they have all the major brands and the service is good. Do a good range of wide work boots as well.

Price were very good compared to some of the other wide websites who just seem to hike the price up for wider widths. I saw the same DB shoe on their website £20 cheaper than on another site!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads