• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Stretcher

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by af1snaikboi
o.0 lol

so any reply to how much it would set me back at a cobbler

Probably $10 - $20, depending on the cobbler. Almost all cobblers can do this, and the better ones have more elaborate stretching devices than the home models. Most cobblers will want to leave the shoe on the stretcher for a number of days to get a good, consistent, gentle stretch.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
10 bucks

PLANofMAN

Reaction score
I noticed some people were wondering about the icy shoes story.

A. use big ziplock bags. don't fill them all the way up. only fill them enough to fill the shoe. (put the bag in the shoe, then the water in the bag).
B. if you fill the bags. you will fill the freezer (and entomb your shoes in ice) as the bags rupture.
C. if your shoes split, you left them in the freezer too long. (covering myself so you can't sue me).
D. if your pizza burns, you left it in the oven too long. (just covering all the bases).
E. if you would rather have an expanding cadaver get a lead sealed coffin. Gases from the cadaver are almost guaranteed to make the coffin explode. Not really relevant, but interesting anyway. do a search on "exploding coffins" if you don't believe me.
F. Go to the cobbler first. The freezer is the last resort. (although what a cobbler would do with a cadaver I have no idea).

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My guy charges $6 to stretch a shoe. He has a device that does it. Works like a charm.

Sperry

Reaction score
I just got back from the local shoe guy. I took a large coffee, and cooled my heels while my right shoe was stretched for an hour.

It feels better now, but it would work better if I left them for a week.

BrooklynWeGoHard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Is a 1/2 size stretch feasible w/ the cobbler option?
a whole size (to a size and a half) is feasible with a cobbler. shoe trees alone that are too large can stretch a shoe half a size easily. why do you ask furo?
eh.gif

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take them to your cobbler and have it done right, or invest in your own stretchers.
Sorry but that water freezing idea is ridiculous.

oppi

Reaction score
Reviving an old thread, as this is a problem I face regularly.

Why would I purchase shoes that don't fit? Good question. I'm an 8.5 UK in length (in most shoes), but I have very narrow heels/ankles and a slightly wider-than-average forefoot. Horrible foot shape for RTW shoes. I generally have to buy 8.5E UK which fits perfect in length, decent in the heel and tight on the forefoot ... but that's the easiest part of the shoe to stretch.

Here's my method.

1. Obtained an extra pair of LASTED shoe trees.for a pair of shoes whose last fits my foot the best (for me it's one of Scarpe Di Bianco's lasts)
2. Squeeze these shoe trees into the new shoe in question (generally this will be a tight fit)
3. Let these sit with shoe trees inserted for a of couple days, I may spend an hour wearing the shoes in this period to help it stretch to my foot shape.
4. Remove shoe trees and using masking tape (painters tape?) wrap 2-3 layers of tape around the tightest parts of the forefoot. Don't overdo it.
5. Repeat steps 2 and 3. Getting the shoe trees in will take some oomph, and you'll likely need to keep the shoe trees in for a week or longer - I would wear the shoes for 2-3 sessions for an hour each in that period.
6. Repeat step 4 and 5 as many times as required, slowly building up layers of tape and stretching the forefoot.

It will take some time for the leather to give, but it works and it's a slow stretch so no real risk of damaging the shoes.

I've ordered a Dasco shoe stretcher to try for the next time .... but this method (despite being tedious) works.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unless it is a moccasin, a shoe cannot be stretched lengthwise without significantly distorting the shape and undermining the structural integrity.

In my professional opinion....

hmlarsson

Reaction score
First, forget to stretch the length of your shoes. It's not possible. It is pretty easy to stretch the width at home. I use bits of used t-shirts (any textile would probably work). Get them wet and press down (with shoe trees) at the area(s) you would like to stretch. Leave it for a few days. Repeat if necessary. Works for me.
Shoegazing blog has written about this, with another approach: http://www.shoegazing.se/2013/09/22/tipset-egen-utlastning/ (use Google Translate!)

Last edited:

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We have been stretching height, length and, width for decades to the satisfaction of our customers without any noticeable distortion.

hmlarsson

Reaction score
We have been stretching height, length and, width for decades to the satisfaction of our customers without any noticeable distortion.
Well, see how little I know.:oops:
How do you succeed to stretch the shoes lengthwise, I was of the impression that that was impossible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics