1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shoe Stretcher

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by af1snaikboi, May 13, 2008.

1. af1snaikboi

af1snaikboi Senior Member

Im looking to stretch a pair of AE's i bought on ebay, the width mostly but the length by a bit as well. Would any over the counter pair of shoe stretchers work? ive seen a few that look like shoe trees but with knobs to stretch them.

If anyone could reccomend me a decent type id appreciate it

2. Roger

Roger Distinguished Member

3. stickonatree

stickonatree Distinguished Member

length stretching doesn't seem very feasible, i would definitely take it to a cobbler instead of a DIY.

4. distinctive

distinctive Distinguished Member

length stretching doesn't seem very feasible, i would definitely take it to a cobbler instead of a DIY.

+1 My cobbler said stretching the length is near impossible. If you decide to try it yourself, you'll need the ointment as well.

5. Roger

Roger Distinguished Member

+1 My cobbler said stretching the length is near impossible. If you decide to try it yourself, you'll need the ointment as well.
    It's actually a thin liquid--seems much like alcohol. And, yes, you should always use this when stretching shoes. (Hint: shoot the liquid onto the leather from the inside. It's a lot harder to do, but doesn't run the risk of messing up the exterior finish.) Some of these stretching fluids suggest, in the instructions, just soaking the leather and wearing the shoes so that they stretch from your feet being in them. You could go to a cobbler. I've done it both ways, and if the necessary stretching is minimal, I've found that the DIY method worked fine.

6. BABuckeye

BABuckeye Senior Member

7. billiebob

billiebob Senior Member

Kugo foot fitter is the width witch for me.

8. af1snaikboi

How much would a cobbler charge to stretch the width a bit.

Would i be able to go to any shoemaker ? (zinks shoe repair maybe)

9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Active Member

Here is a remedy I was told about by an old cobbler. Take two sturdy ziplock bags, double bag them, place them inside your shoes and fill your shoe with water. Place your shoes in the freezer overnight. The water will freeze and expand to stretch your shoes. Care must be taken, as this can split the seams on cheap shoes. When all else fails, this method of stretching can make a remarkable difference.

Advice from the neighborhood butler

10. yfyf

yfyf Affiliate vendor Affiliate Vendor

Here is a remedy I was told about by an old cobbler. Take two sturdy ziplock bags, double bag them, place them inside your shoes and fill your shoe with water. Place your shoes in the freezer overnight. The water will freeze and expand to stretch your shoes. Care must be taken, as this can split the seams on cheap shoes. When all else fails, this method of stretching can make a remarkable difference.

Fascinating and terrifying. What if the ziploc breaks?

11. grimslade

grimslade Stylish Dinosaur

And how do get the bag, especially double bags, to really fill out the shoe evenly. Count me dubious.

12. billiebob

billiebob Senior Member

And how would you contain the freezing water from just flowing out the ankle? Water has to be somewhat contained to exert pressure as it freezes. Ever freeze an open bottle of water? The ice flows out the top.

13. Golf_Nerd

Golf_Nerd Distinguished Member

Cool, a friend of mine told me the story. It was the guy who buyed shoes is size 7 and sold them in size 9.

14. yfyf

yfyf Affiliate vendor Affiliate Vendor

I think a more effective extension of the ziploc bag idea is to find a cadaver, fill it with water ... and well you can figure out the rest.

15. af1snaikboi

o.0 lol

so any reply to how much it would set me back at a cobbler